Surfs up dudes!

What's Hot
DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4615
edited March 2015 in Off Topic
Me and the homies and WAGS are going indoor surfing at Bedford today.

I can skateboard, I've seen Point Break and I once stole a windsurf board on acid when i lived in Spain (i was on acid, not the board randomhandclaps) so that should be enough for me to do this right?

Right?
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited March 2015

Haaaaaa.  Yeah that's what I thought when I hit the beach in Oz. 

A longboard?  No way, if I can drop in from 5' of vert and do a few 50:50's, smith grinds or an indy air, ollie blunt or a kickflip there must be nothing to it.  So I got a competition board shorter than me.  Big mistake.  Spent the day trying not to drown and even ended up in some women's bra....many, many years ago.  So thought sod that and went fishing instead.

You have to be fit, really fit and have the ability to hold your breath for 30 minutes.  All respect to surfers, they are fit as people come.

Used to be good at talking the talk about Perranporth in the nineties and looking like a surfer though done the pub, but it was all a fraud I'm afraid. 

The truth is that I hate water and I hate drowning even more.  Surfers are a special breed.

Good luck, hope there is a good lifeguard on duty.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4200
    Oh come on, it's not that hard!!!

Starting out on a shorty is suicide though, but have a lol for it! :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4615
    Well there we are. We had to spend most of the time boogie boarding which was a burmer but i did manage to get a pop shuv in when we were finally allowed to surf. Great stories @Sambostar
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1145
    We went skydiving there recently, which was awesome, and thought the surf thing looked cool. Worth a go?
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Surfing looks so easy to do and once in the water you start to realise the hundreds of things you have to consider every couple of seconds.

I surfed for about 20 years, the level of fitness and commitment it takes to make it to a decent level is ridiculous. You end up caring only about tide times, wind direction and low pressure weather systems. It's life consuming.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4615
    @roundthebend if there is a group of you i'd say it'd be worth a go .. we all thought we'd be straight in with the standing on the boards so if you're happy to boogie board then go for it!!!