Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Real Ale Thread

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Not the Stickle Barn?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    Love most of the stuff from these guys: http://www.williamsbrosbrew.com/beerboard

And as a reliable old favourite that you find in plenty of pubs (up here in Scotland anyway), and great for a long session, got to love Deuchars: https://www.caledonianbeer.com/beers/deuchars-ipa

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15513
    Not the Stickle Barn?
    it may be, it's the bit where there are (or were, been 10 years now) 2 pubs, a smaller old one closer to the road and then a bigger one set back up the track a ways.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10488
    tFB Trader
    When I was a teen on the Isle of Wight there was the fabulous Burts brewery ... all their water came from a spring in the cliffs above the brewery in Ventnor.  Their 'best' was the most gorgeous nutty, almost fruity flavour that has now long gone. There was a fight between the brewery and the local water company over the spring ... and the brewery lost. Went bust I think in the end.
    Can't forgive Fullers for what they did to the Gales brewery ... but I still enjoy their ESB and London Pride fairly regularly.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Sat in the local to work real ale boozer drinking Ossett silver ghost. It is remarkably moorish.
    Oddly my two local decent ale boozers are 'the fighting cock' and 'fannies ale house'. Make of that what you will.
    In jazz, no one can hear you scream
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920
    VimFuego said:
    Not the Stickle Barn?
    it may be, it's the bit where there are (or were, been 10 years now) 2 pubs, a smaller old one closer to the road and then a bigger one set back up the track a ways.
    Dungeon Ghyll?  I used to go camping up there some decades ago...
  • Nitefly;60393" said:
    VimFuego said:

Van_Hayden said:

Not the Stickle Barn?

I usually find the best taverns are the ones you can't remember.
    Nitefly said:
    VimFuego said:
    Not the Stickle Barn?

hmm, now, wasn't there 2 dungeon ghyll hotels, the old one that was right at the head of the valley and the new one closer to the village?

Gah, I really want to go to the lake district now.

• The Dungeon Ghyll hotel is a nice spot. People are under the misguided motion that the Lake District is for walking. It's for drinking!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

we once walked from langdale, where we were staying, to Wasdale head via scafell pike, camped the night there then walked back the next day. Some fine pubs in those places.

There used to be a cracking little pub (literally, you could just about sit 5 people in there) just outside Keswick called the crag inn or something. Used to serve the best steak pie ever. Last I heard they sold out to a vegetarian outfit. Meat pie no more.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16707
    edited October 2013
    joneve said:

Doom Bar used to be good, but is now terrible.

Doombar is far from terrible, although it is much nicer at a decent pub than from a bottle.   its available everywhere now and the downside of that is more pubs to serve it badly

The perfect pint is all about the cellar, the pub and the beer

Pedigree used to be my perfect pint, but only in Burton and only at the pubs you know do a decent pint of pedi.  It never travelled well.  Now it travels ok but tastes generic everywhere

Kimberly Classic in the coopers tavern was perfect for many years.   Straight from the barrel so warmer and flatter than most cellar dispense - slipped down rather lovely, every time over a 5 year period... but never had a pint of it I have enjoyed as much anywhere else

Burton Bridge and Tower Brewery are my favourites in the area.  infact i was at Tower for a PRS/bernie Marden event this week, its a great venue - actually set-up in hte middle of the brewery
  • Very true that Wes, both one if the nicest pints and the worst I've ever had came from the same brewery. But the pubs were 200 miles apart!

Local ale for local people, to paraphrase the league of gentlemen.