Some people

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
I can't believe it. Had a meet with new band members last night at the studio. We hadn't actually played together in that format of personnel and got chatting as you do. I couldn't help noticing after a while that one of them kept mentioning money and what the band could potentially earn etc. I brought the subject up that he shouldn't see this band at this stage as a money earner if that was what he was thinking. His response came back as it was for him in so many words. 

I said well ok but if you want those well paid gigs, as I do to be honest but it is not what drives me, who would be expected to go out and help promote the band. "Promote the band" he said "why should I do that it's your band so your job as you're band leader". I answered that I only expect him to occasionally put a flyer around or mention the band to possible clients if he meets any. "You mean networking?" he said. Not really just basic forwarding people to the website or giving them a card. "No way" he said I don't even drink so why should I go into a pub to promote the band..........

I accepted his resignation from the band this morning as you can probably imagine. Can you guys tell me if this is normal practice that band members refuse to do anything remotely promotional for a band they join?
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    So he wants the money but doesn't want to actively earn it, just sort of do his thing until he gets rich?

No thanks, pull your weight, especially if you're the one that wants it to go somewhere.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I think it's probably rare for someone to outright refuse, much more normal to just fail to do anything.
    On the bright side you have his resignation now and not after 3 months of rehearsals.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    So he wants the money but doesn't want to actively earn it, just sort of do his thing until he gets rich?

No thanks, pull your weight, especially if you're the one that wants it to go somewhere.
    Yes exactly my sentiments. I was quite shocked to be honest with you that someone can so small minded :(
  • Sound like a completely normal practice of dealing with a knob.  I know it's a pain but you're well shot.

I wonder if he would have been happy for you to take say 75% of all earning because "you're the band leader" and due to all your promo work?!

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I think it's probably rare for someone to outright refuse, much more normal to just fail to do anything.
    On the bright side you have his resignation now and not after 3 months of rehearsals.
    Yes that's the positive thinking around it. I made a promise to myself after the last personnel in the band saga (long story) that I'll sort the week band members out early so they don't waste mine and other band members time
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7807
    I can't believe it. Had a meet with new band members last night at the studio. We hadn't actually played together in that format of personnel and got chatting as you do. I couldn't help noticing after a while that one of them kept mentioning money and what the band could potentially earn etc. I brought the subject up that he shouldn't see this band at this stage as a money earner if that was what he was thinking. His response came back as it was for him in so many words. 

I said well ok but if you want those well paid gigs, as I do to be honest but it is not what drives me, who would be expected to go out and help promote the band. "Promote the band" he said "why should I do that it's your band so your job as you're band leader". I answered that I only expect him to occasionally put a flyer around or mention the band to possible clients if he meets any. "You mean networking?" he said. Not really just basic forwarding people to the website or giving them a card. "No way" he said I don't even drink so why should I go into a pub to promote the band..........

I accepted his resignation from the band this morning as you can probably imagine. Can you guys tell me if this is normal practice that band members refuse to do anything remotely promotional for a band they join?
    Yup familiar story.. people have the dreams but no application. It's amazing how many people think life should be handed to them on a platter, but then moan when nothing is forthcoming. 

good you had the chat upfront.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Might have been interesting if you had said okay as band leader I will book all gigs and do all the promotion and in return take the first 20% of any payments as my fee, the remainder split equally between us.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Sound like a completely normal practice of dealing with a knob.  I know it's a pain but you're well shot.

I wonder if he would have been happy for you to take say 75% of all earning because "you're the band leader" and due to all your promo work?!

Funny enough he did mention that I should take more or for anyone who gets the gig and does the running around to get more but knowing him I feel he'll have a problem with it at a later date
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6840
    tFB Trader
    +1. Sounds like you're much better off without the tit!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    what everyone has said

in my limited experience i feel lucky to be with 4 other musicians that broadly get on well, can play, turn up to rehearsals and gigs, and generally learn new songs at least to a starting poing

as regards organisation they do feck all.  but at least none of them expects to be earning a fortune.  i am struggling to get them to spend on lights, backdrop and promo cd so i can market to the standard that will get us some better gigs but i'll get there

but in terms of organisation generally it seems that one person tends to do the legwork. getting the rest of the variables in personalities to work is hard enough without adding marketing and gig booking to the list

but if they are a knob as well then they can just fuck off :)
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    @hotpickups Just out of interest (cos I think I'm vaguely local) what kind of band is this one?
    Soul/R&B/Motown
    markslade07;563268" said:
    @hotpickups Just out of interest (cos I think I'm vaguely local) what kind of band is this one?
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    In the band I run as an absolute dictatorship, if we do a gig as a 3-piece, a fifth share goes to each band member, a fifth to me for band expenses like PA gear etc, and a fifth to whoever gets the gig & promotes it etc. Often that's me, but it's been someone else quite a few times.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Soul/R&B/Motown
    markslade07;563268" said:
    Sounds good stuff!
    Yes we did and will carry that on too. However, after do all the work in my past line up I asked the band members to help out with some small promotion as mentioned. None took me up on my invitation :( I am a family man and I really can't do it all on my own but do the majority of it.

I will now make it quite clear at the beginning that this is a requirement in being IN the band
    bigjon;563291" said:
    In the band I run as an absolute dictatorship, if we do a gig as a 3-piece, a fifth share goes to each band member, a fifth to me for band expenses like PA gear etc, and a fifth to whoever gets the gig & promotes it etc. Often that's me, but it's been someone else quite a few times.
  • Sounds like a complete doofus. Also sounds like my singer. Is it my singer? I bet it was my singer.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sounds like a complete doofus. Also sounds like my singer. Is it my singer? I bet it was my singer.
    I'm looking for a singer but it won't be him for sure LOL
    Need another guitar? ;)
    Need another guitar? ;)
    Not really. Unless you're a Bass guitarist?
    Unfortunately not :(