British Jazz Funk .. anyone a fan?

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
edited March 2015 in Music
This thread could sink like a stone ...

Was clearing out some stuff today and came across a stash of my old jazz funk albums .. this was all the rage in the late 70s and early 80s and spawned Level 42 and Incognito. Here's a classic I have on 12" vinyl from a young band called Freeez .. the guitarist is Jean-Paul 'Bluey' Maunick who formed Incognito.

Sounds great turned up loud with all the slap bass ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    I'm partial to a bit of jazz funk, but I have to admit I never differentiate between British or otherwise.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    I was trying to remember the name of this lot the other day and this Discussion has spurred me into action to find them again:

although they aren't probably really jazz funk, just jazzy and funky, or from the 80's but they are British.
    Anyway, 80's jazz funk is what divides the Weary household, it's what MrsTheWeary was bopping to in nightclubs with names like Barbarellas when I was sat alone in my bedroom listening to Frank Zappa. Y'know, driving off on holiday with Radio 2 on and a jazz funk hit from the 80's comes on and MrsTheWeary is all this reminds me of being a student nurse and I'm all this is what I was avoiding by being home alone.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    axisus said:
    I'm partial to a bit of jazz funk, but I have to admit I never differentiate between British or otherwise.
    The British jazz movement was very different from that in the US ..

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1801
    Oops think I once owned a Spiro Gyra album, or never returned it to a girlfriend. Those were the days adolescent sex and free albums
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I got into jazz-funk with Running-in-the-family-era Level42, around 1987, then got into acid jazz like Corduroy and early Jamiroquai. My personal favourite from the early 90s acid jazz stuff was Beehive, saw them live a couple of times, best funk drummer I've ever seen.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I was in a j-f band Section 7 in the early 90s, formed by bassist Karl Clews, who went on to form Harambe and now Earthship. Here's a quick guitar-solo excerpt from our demo, with Karl slapping away!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    edited March 2015
    I like jazz funk as a whole and still think it was a great era and I like nothing more than having one of those Trevor Nelson compilation CDs on in the car. It's pure summer driving music.

I used to attend the "All Dayers" at The Lyceum and once went to Caister for a weekender which was a mix of DJs and live bands. Good music, good people and a lovely, peaceful happy vibe.

I tended to prefer US stuff but the British end was held up by bands such as Freeez, Light of the World, Incognito, Linx, and even The Real Thing and The Average White Band were in there too.

I liked Level 42's "The Early Tapes" but I think they could see there wasn't much commercial value in that stuff and swiftly moved onto their brand of poppy funk. They still sound good today and I caught a concert of there's from a year or so back on YT and they've still got it.

I tended to prefer bands like Morrissey Mullen and Paz who occasionally threw in a jazz-funk song but had stronger leanings towards instrumental smooth  jazz. Shakatak were in that vein too but I didn't like them.

Corduroy. Cor, I'd forgotten about them and they were excellent live.

I've always liked Jamiroquai and PB Underground are doing well to keep the soul/funk stuff alive and if you like funk drummers, check out Pete Ray Biggin, the band leader and also the drummer in Incognito and Level 42. Ooh look, we've come full circle! Oh, and the guitarist in PB is Ben Jones and he's the most wonderful funk player (I've mentioned him a good, few times on the forum).

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    @Kebabkid .. Caister, Morrisey Mullen, Paz ... brings back memories. I'll check out PB Underground ..

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    Ah @Fretwired - we must be of a similar vintage. Pirate station Radio Invicta too?

The is Pete Ray Biggin in the studio and that's his guitarist, Ben Jones - I love this clip

Ben Jones is also in the houseband for The Voice and he's a great talent.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

I love the New Mastersounds.  They hark back more to the early roots of Jazz Funk, Grant Green kind of Blue note era sounds.  A bit of Jimmy Smith, Jimmy McGriff.  Probably not exactly the same but they are British working in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p37y3vqP_DM 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

Wait 'till the slap bass solo comes in.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Vt65NzOQg

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    Howard: That is electro nonsense.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• rlwrlw Frets: 4735
    No.

Absolutely hate it.  That and opera.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 750
    This is classic early British Funk:

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    edited March 2015
    Another New Mastersounds fan here. 
    Not sure if it's strictly Jazz Funk in the way I understand the term (as in Miles Davis' Decoy & Tutu LPs). Wikipedia says they're "jazz fusion and funk" so maybe that's the same, unless of course it's one of those "People's Front of Judea" things. Still, they're British (OK, Yorkshire but it's near enough) and absolute killer players doing stuff with a clear Meters influence. Love Eddie Roberts' ES330 tone - clearly a man with a few Grant Green LPs in his collection:

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6183
    edited March 2015
    Huge fan here. I think the AWB where probably the best funk/soul band on the planet. In the early 80s Morrissey Mullen where probably my favourite UK band. Their 'Life On The Wire' album featuring the young Carol Kenyon was was/is superb.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"