Mesa mini rectifier

What's Hot
prh777prh777 Frets: 143
Hi.

Anybody owned one of these and used it in anger? I'm thinking of heading this route for our rehearsal sessions since having an extra clean channel would be very useful. Currently I run a Jim root orange terror into whatever cab the venue has but it really doesn't do cleans. We play a lot of down tuned metal (pantera, tool etc) or rather metal that has been tuned down....
Ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    edited March 2015
    Facking awesome.  I gig with mine on the 10W setting. The 25W setting is deafening. Should add that I don't do Teh Brootalz - straight up cleans and 70s rock dirty
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • how big and how much does the rectoverb combo weigh in comparison to blues jr? if its close and sounds as great as I think I would then I might be tempted to go for one as my 'take anywhere small amp', cant seem to find any pictures online...
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Unadulterated BJ is pretty meh tbh - needs news speaker as a minimum
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno;567562" said:
    Unadulterated BJ is pretty meh tbh - needs news speaker as a minimum
    And a new circuit... ;)

I really don't like them. But lots of other folk love them, so it's mostly me being odd I guess.

I tried a mini rec and didn't like it - it was a bit fizzy and didn't have that "thunderous" quality of the proper dual recs. That said, that fizzyness might be good for pantera covers, where a more direct, less complex sound is what is wanted.

That said, I was asking a lot of a small amp to sound like a 100 watt monster of rock and I wouldn't say it sounded horrible - I am probably being harsh because it didn't really sound like a rec. It was probably decent sounding in its own right though. Good looking and small, too.
  • I'd recommend higher wattage for down tuned metal. It will help with the clean headroom on the low notes too. If you only need two channels the EVH 5150 III 50 watt might be worth considering as you'd get more clean headroom plus the red channel sounds good for low tuned metal. It is cheaper than the Mini Rectifier too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbay;567568" said:
    I'd recommend higher wattage for down tuned metal. It will help with the clean headroom on the low notes too. If you only need two channels the EVH 5150 III 50 watt might be worth considering as you'd get more clean headroom plus the red channel sounds good for low tuned metal. It is cheaper than the Mini Rectifier too.
    Came back literally to recommend the same thing.

Or a 6505 or 6505+. Full size heads, but bulletproof and awesome. Basically the amp for tight, downtuned metal. But the 5153 is a similar circuit in a smaller box.
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    I should have explained that I have a mk v head as well which is incredible. I tend to take my gear to work and rehearse after so full size a bit impractical for the Southern trains overground to London bridge...... The mk v has been to a few and was cracking however.

Intrigued by the 6505 mini head but still a bit heavy for the commute!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72488
    I haven't gigged with one but I did borrow one and was able to test it over the full range of volume, and directly compare it to my Trem-o-verb - a Dual Rectifier combo, essentially. I used the T-verb speakers (2xV30) for both amps.

If you're thinking of buying it because you want the proper full-on Dual Rectifier sound - even the clean - in a smaller/lighter/cheaper/lower-power package… don't. It doesn't sound the same at all.

It's a more aggressive (really!), more mid-focused, harder type of sound. It would probably be great for old-school rock and metal, but it does not have the huge loose low-end resonance of the Dual Rec, which is the signature sound of it. If you want it for what it does well, then it's probably great.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    @ICBM - thanks that's very helpful. Plus thanks to everyone else. Sounds like I need to try one out (or just buy it more likely). Off to the classifieds!