Any Eddie Cochran fans?

Recently picked up a 'the very best of' CD of Eddie Cochran. I love it! 16 tracks most of them under 2 minutes long. Is the reason for this so the original discs could be played on a juke box? I would like to try some of the guitar licks he plays. I would be made up if I could learn to play Milk Cow Blues.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Great stuff, another one who left us too young.  During the "Stray Cats" hey day we picked up everything we could find by him.  Does your CD have the track "Pink Pegged Slacks"?   (We-ell how can I go out cattin'  without my crazy pink pegged slacks?)

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Great stuff, another one who left us too young.  During the "Stray Cats" hey day we picked up everything we could find by him.  Does your CD have the track "Pink Pegged Slacks"?   (We-ell how can I go out cattin'  without my crazy pink pegged slacks?)
    Unfortunately no Pink Pegged Slacks. But there is plenty on CD to keep me busy. Yeah.....I can see where Brian Setzer is influenced by Eddie.
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    Love him, my dad was a massive fan so I grew up with his music being played. Seek out a track called Eddie's Blues, an instrumental, some really great guitar playing on there. He definitely helped shape the music of the following generation from the likes of the Who, Kinks and Small Faces.
  • Such a great guitarist, and wonderful studio pro for someone so young, listen to " sittin' in the Balcony"solo, it's awesome. Fantastic tone and content.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72592
    Yes, I like him a lot too. He accomplished so much in such a tragically short life.

I love his rhythm playing on the acoustic too - I should post that in the thread about it too.

But like many of the stars of his day he also had to perform much less memorable material as well as the well-known classics and the other gems we know him for… I've got a compilation called 'His 30 Greatest Hits' and some of it is pretty painful ballad-type stuff, so be careful what you buy :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10339
    edited March 2015
    Used to love him when I was a teenager and still have quite a few LP's of his.
    Milk Cow Blues is a great track and one of my favourites of his.

Great talent taken too young.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    ICBM said:

But like many of the stars of his day he also had to perform much less memorable material as well as the well-known classics and the other gems we know him for… I've got a compilation called 'His 30 Greatest Hits' and some of it is pretty painful ballad-type stuff, so be careful what you buy :).
    Agree that some of his ballad type material is awful, very much a product of it's time. Some of the Cochran Brothers stuff is pretty dull too. Fortunately, the rockers make it all worthwhile!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    I must check out more of his stuff. I remember Paul McCartney on the Beatles Anthology saying how impressed John Lennon was that Paul could play & knew all the lyrics to Twenty Flight Rock. What a great song, years later on a Ronnie Wood show he plays some of it on acoustic and talks in more detail about the lyrics.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2017
    Don't forget his vocal style also had an effect on a future generation of singers.

I once heard a story that Jimi Hendrix said if he ever should pass he wanted Eddie Cochran's music played at his funeral, and they did.

Eddie was a fantastic talent, and even introduced the thinner G string for bending?

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.