Ordered a new amp but now what speaker should I put with it?

shaunmshaunm Frets: 1623
edited March 2015 in Amps
I have just ordered a lovely new amp with @martinw , a tweed deluxe styled amp and I can't wait to get that but now I have a few months to plan which speaker to go with it.

The amp will be a 18watt head and I will be running it into my oversized 1x12 Zilla.

As this is a vintage voiced 5e3 circuit I thought maybe a blueback speaker or possibly a celestion Gold? I played through one yesterday and it worked very well with the cleaner end of things.

What are your suggestions for this type of set up?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    Gold, unless you enjoy taking a chance with how conservative Celestion's rating are. Yes, I know many people do run Blues in amps of more than 15W - but it's an expensive thing to find out is a bit marginal, the hard way.

Or if you want more of a traditional 5E3 tone, a Jensen alnico of some sort - probably a P12N which is the classic, but maybe one of the lower-rated ones if you want to keep the volume and cost down a bit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    I'd go with either a Celestion Blue or a Tayden Ace, they've both sounded stellar with the 5E3 circuit in my experience.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1623
    I've currently got a Tayden High Brit in my cab which sounds great with a Marshall style crunchy amp. I will certainly give it a go with the 5e3 style amp.

Jenson speakers I haven't tried in a cab before, only in combos. I will give them a good look.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited March 2015
    Celestion A
  • mfinmfin Frets: 41
    edited March 2015
    I run a 1x12 with a 15w Celestion Blue in my 5e3 based 18 watt (2 x 6v6). Brilliant. Got sweeter as it broke in too.

If not, personally I'd go for a G12H.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Celestion Blue in mine. Sounds awesome
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/