If you had to pick the best guitar tone you've ever heard......

What's Hot

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2919
    edited March 2015
    More Rothery magic

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kinkin Frets: 1015

Zappa - Watermelon in easter hay

Bernie Torme / Gillan - solo from , if you believe me

SRV - Lenny

and about a million others

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    Holdsworth tone on A Kinder eye & If You Were Mine on level 42's Guaranteed album is killer

• exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    For Robben Ford, I always preferred his Telecaster tones. Fast forward to 37'30". Beware contains Guitar Sex Face Imagery.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    exocet said:
    @ICMB - I was at what was billed as the last performance by Lloyd Cole and the Commotions. It was at the Hammersmith (whatever it's called now but for me will always be the Odeon). It was a one off I think - in early 00's.
    Clarke was playing through what I think was a HRD - his tone on Rattlesnakes just sent shivers up my spine and got me back into guitar playing again.
    I was at the Glasgow Barrowlands gig a couple of days before that - it was 2004. (20th anniversary of Rattlesnakes.)

What really amazed me was that Neil Clark *only* used the Strat - no Tele, 335 or Firebird - and still got all the classic Commotions tones down perfectly. Just goes to show it's the player not the gear...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    2:35

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited March 2015
    I may be being a little flippant there, but that is a killer sound. Just absolutely useless, that's all.

In all seriousness, I have no idea. I don't really have a favourite sound, there are so many I love. Always had a soft spot for 2:00 though.

Enough gain to carry the notes through fluidly but also touch-sensitive and responsive, and really smooth and warm-sounding.
    The playing helps too...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Evilmags;570452" said:
    Dweezil Zappa on the ZPZ dvd.

Lifeson on Hemispheres.

Tony Iommi on volume four.

Hendrix on band of gypsies.
    The inca roads solo on that is hair raising !
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2919
    Always loved the into to Sorrow by Mr Gilmore

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Joe Perry + Brad Whitford on "A Little South of Sanity" (double live album), You Gotta Move (live DVD), and just Aerosmith live in general. That does it for me.

But of all the things recently released that I've obtained I dig Slash's tone on World on Fire and I really like Dan/Justin Hawkins' tones on The Darkness's new single Open Fire. The verse/chorus tone especially.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Gassage said:
    Many Gilmour era's but Live8 and Gdansk in partic.

I watched the Gdansk DVD again last night, cracking stuff.

Couple of observations:
    Gilmour seemed to have his volume turned down a little on his guitar pretty much all the way through (unless I'm mistaken).
    The Gretsch he played in one song..*whisper it*..sounded better, to my ears.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    RocknRollDave;572677" said:
    Gassage said:

Many Gilmour era's but Live8 and Gdansk in partic.

I watched the Gdansk DVD again last night, cracking stuff.

Couple of observations:

Gilmour seemed to have his volume turned down a little on his guitar pretty much all the way through (unless I'm mistaken).

The Gretsch he played in one song..*whisper it*..sounded better, to my ears.
    That's on the skyarts catch up thing, I'm no fan but I keep meaning to have a look out of curiosity.
    Jeff Beck says he always keeps the volume on his strat slightly rolled off to stop it being so harsh. I think I'm too clumsy to get away with that live but it's exactly what it does.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    edited March 2015

This solo is great, love the tone too at 2.00 (Warning: Taste Brigade need not apply).

https://youtu.be/kB9oeBuRMSQ?t=2m

• ewalewal Frets: 2584

Not very good at judging tone or indeed guitarists in isolation from the music, however in recent years guitarists whose tone has made an impression on me especially live, include Alan Sparhawk of Low, Jonsi of Sigur Ros, and Efrim Menuck of Silver Mt Zion and GYBE.

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Octahedron;572282" said:
    Joe Perry + Brad Whitford on "A Little South of Sanity" (double live album), You Gotta Move (live DVD), and just Aerosmith live in general. That does it for me.

But of all the things recently released that I've obtained I dig Slash's tone on World on Fire and I really like Dan/Justin Hawkins' tones on The Darkness's new single Open Fire. The verse/chorus tone especially.
    I'm with you on the world on fire sound, really like it, some nice sounds on his rhythm parts for the tracks.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5157

This was my benchmark for a lot of years. Roy Buchanan, "Hey Joe" from Live in Japan.

Of course a big part of what makes this sounds so great is that Roy isn't afraid to play with huge dynamics- he'll properly belt a chord one minute and barely tickle it the next, riding volume and tone controls the whole time to go from mellow and clean to dirty, slashing bridge pickup sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmsjzGXHVlI

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Joe Perry + Brad Whitford on "A Little South of Sanity" (double live album), You Gotta Move (live DVD), and just Aerosmith live in general. That does it for me.

I'm only a casual Aerosmith fan, but those two live releases are flipping great, proper Rock n Roll played how it ought to be played.

• ewalewal Frets: 2584
    The wonderous Alan Sparhawk (and Low) - he would be the first to admit he's a fan of Neil Young...

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    hah - depends what day of the week it is.....

blackmore on the old purple stuff - strat through a wound up marshall
    matt schofield on his latest album - nice strat blues sound
    the tones on the govt-mule live album  Sco - mule - not sure if it is Schofield or someone else.  The first track is really tasty!
    santana moonflower era tones 
    any les paul tones :)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    nickp;573879" said:
    santana moonflower era tones
    He did sound great during that period - custom Yahama SG2000 with real Gibson PAFs into a Boogie.

In later years he tone seemed to become thinner and harsher.