Evh 5150 iii owners

MonstronautMonstronaut Frets: 193
edited March 2015 in Amps
I recently bought @leerocker's evh 5150 100 watterand noticed that these no longer come with jj valves from the factory. As a result the amp is a bit noisier than my last one of these. Now I have 3 spare mullard 12ax7's which are very quiet and I'm wondering which positions to use them for the best tonal results? Also, can anyone recommend a quiet 12ax7 I can swap the rest out for?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

If you want a REALLY quiet ECC83 (AC heated) you need to do as I did, pick 5 out of a batch of 50!

Ok! Sorry! I found the 7025 "hi-grade" pretty good and decent value.

And "tonal"? Shmonal....If you want the lowest NOISE put the best valve in the first, input position.

Dave.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Are you sure Lee didn't change them himself?
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Keep an eye out for 7025s on t'interwebs, Langrex and Mullard Magic are a couple of places to investigate (Langrex are great for NOS rectifiers but I think they're used to dealing in high-volume so might not be great for preamp valves. I don't know though.)

A couple of the new production people (JJ and Sovtek, maybe others) make ECC83s with spiral heaters, which may help.
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 607
    They are jj valves in them all the newer versions have them in they just don't label them. They are supposed to be a higher grade than the jj stamped ones and not as noisy.