Sold off most of my "shred" CD's

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
edited March 2015 in Off Topic
and some other stuff:

I've been gradually clearing out most of my guitar albums over the years and this is pretty much the last of them.  I still kept my Steve Vai ones and Joe Satriani's Surfing With The Alien, and all the Racer X albums but, apart from that I have no more.  I had to get rid of all my Paul Gilbert stuff as I find him incredibly boring these days.  His early stuff with Racer X was when he was at his peak.  After Get Out Of My Yard he started to loose steam.  Some Jason Becker also - technically good but boring compositions IMO.  

Sold off the rest of my Miles Davis albums too....some good moments but I never really listen to them any more.  I also had two Five Finger Death Punch albums that I bought and never listened to.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Hopefully no Dokken or Ratt in that collection eh.  I think Gilbert and the like are kind of like popular of the moment indie CD's or techno, makes sense at the time, but get dusty in the long run.  I have three CD storage areas, immediate intermediate and forgotten.   Sometimes I may move a CD to number one area, but generally once they are relegated to the third, to make space for more, I may as well burn them
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I have to play all the instrumental stuff in the background while I do something else; I can't just sit in my chair and listen to it straight. Vocals make a lot of difference. 

80s Rock and Metal is home for me, as it's the first music I listened to and still to this day, nothing sounds better with a few beers. I'm going through a Country phase at the moment, but I know as I scroll down through Media Player, I'll take a slight detour to Icon (and possibly get stuck there).

I'm struggling to get into Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force at the moment.

I still have some Yngwie!  His early stuff is just amazing.  
    Sambostar said:
    Hopefully no Dokken or Ratt in that collection eh.  I think Gilbert and the like are kind of like popular of the moment indie CD's or techno, makes sense at the time, but get dusty in the long run.  I have three CD storage areas, immediate intermediate and forgotten.   Sometimes I may move a CD to number one area, but generally once they are relegated to the third, to make space for more, I may as well burn them
    I did have some Dokken there (Live From The Sun and a best of collection album).  Again, I think the best Dokken albums are the early ones up to Back For The Attack.  I kept all my Ratt albums.  

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    Where did you sell your CD's? I've got hundreds sitting in my in-laws garage that I'd like to sell.
    Stevepage said:
    Where did you sell your CD's? I've got hundreds sitting in my in-laws garage that I'd like to sell.
    A lot of years ago I sold a job lot of CD's on eBay.  A lot of months later I asked the guy who bought the original bunch if he wanted to buy more and he said he would and I have kept in touch with him and he buys them from me this way.  

You could try selling your CD's back to Amazon if you wanted to get rid of them.  I had a lot of graphic novels that I got rid off that way recently and if the value they were worth was over £50 (I think this was the amount) they gave you free postage.  

eBay is OK for selling but you get hammered with the fees and that so it's not really worth it these days I don't think so anyway.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28344
    Shred albums and graphic novels! Doh .... Think I missed out here ......
  • The only shred wanky album I listen to is Joe Satriani - The beautiful guitar
    Old Is Gold
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited March 2015
    Rising Force is a mother of an album.

That opening riff on the title track is stunning. When I hear it I can picture a whole room full of Marshalls running full tilt.

Edit: just realised I meant the album Odyssey with the opening track 'Rising Force'. The album Rising Force starts with a classical intro. My mistake!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    Shred albums and graphic novels! Doh .... Think I missed out here ......
    Ahh I could have worked you out a job lot deal.   Mind you, I have every issue of Young Guitar from 2003 - circa 2005 that I need to shift at some point as well.
    Skarloey said:
    Rising Force is a mother of an album.

That opening riff on the title track is stunning. When I hear it I can picture a whole room full of Marshalls running full tilt.
    Definitely is a great way to start off an album.  
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5168

Tell me you ripped those Beatles and Miles Davis albums before you got rid of them. I get that you wouldn't want to listen to them every day, but how anyone doesn't want Bitches Brew or In A Silent Way on their shelf is a mystery to me. Likewise Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road and the White Album.

Un-exceptional shredwank? That you can bin. I had no idea Paul Gilbert had put out so many albums.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2612
    Interesting. I've never been into shred, but there came a point when I'd been playing for a few years when I realised that too much of my album collection - stuff by McLaughlin, Larry Coryell, Al Di Meola, Jeff Beck and the like - was there because I admired the guitar playing rather because I thought it had much value as music.  Time to get rid. The thought that playing guitar was actually having a narrowing effect on my musical taste was one of the factors in making me decide to make bass my main instrument for many years although I'm back playing guitar now.

Miles and the Beatles remain perpetual favourites though.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”

Tell me you ripped those Beatles and Miles Davis albums before you got rid of them. I get that you wouldn't want to listen to them every day, but how anyone doesn't want Bitches Brew or In A Silent Way on their shelf is a mystery to me. Likewise Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road and the White Album.

Un-exceptional shredwank? That you can bin. I had no idea Paul Gilbert had put out so many albums.

I didn't rip those to be honest with you.  I haven't listened to those Beatles or Miles Davis albums in years.  I could still get copies if need be.  They were taking up space and I went through my collection and weeded out the stuff that I hadn't listened to in a long time and decided to get rid of it.  

The vast majority of PG's albums are terrible.  His best instrumental one was Get Out Of My Yard and his best vocal album is Alligator Farm.  The Racer X album Second Heat is the best thing he ever appeared on.  If you like shred metal then it would be the perfect album for you.  His album with Freddie Nelson called United States is good too.  That's it really.  His last album Stone Man Pushing Up Hill is so bad.  After I got it it was the final straw for me and I have completely given up on trying to garner some sort of interest in his music these days.

Interesting. I've never been into shred, but there came a point when I'd been playing for a few years when I realised that too much of my album collection - stuff by McLaughlin, Larry Coryell, Al Di Meola, Jeff Beck and the like - was there because I admired the guitar playing rather because I thought it had much value as music.  Time to get rid. The thought that playing guitar was actually having a narrowing effect on my musical taste was one of the factors in making me decide to make bass my main instrument for many years although I'm back playing guitar now.

Miles and the Beatles remain perpetual favourites though.

I agree with you on all this.  Mind you, I still kept my Jeff Beck albums and Shakti albums.  Beck is, IMO, one of the very few interesting instrumental players out there.  
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Let's hope you don't regret it later. I've sold a lot of stuff, stuff that I got cheap at the time and then later thought "Damn I wish I hadn't sold that Man Eating Tree album" cos I see copies of stuff brand new/sealed that I bought for $10, selling now for $30, and I made probably $5 back by selling them but they're too expensive for me to re-purchase now. Ugh.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    Let's hope you don't regret it later. I've sold a lot of stuff, stuff that I got cheap at the time and then later thought "Damn I wish I hadn't sold that Man Eating Tree album" cos I see copies of stuff brand new/sealed that I bought for $10, selling now for $30, and I made probably $5 back by selling them but they're too expensive for me to re-purchase now. Ugh.
    Oh dear :-(   

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23113
    I'm impressed you managed to sell them at all.  I used to sell a lot of CDs and (mostly) DVDs on eBay and Amazon Marketplace, but the prices have got lower and lower, they're almost as worthless as VHS tapes now.  There are people selling DVDs on Amazon for 1p!  By the time Amazon have taken their cut and you've paid the postage, you've actually lost money.

I've used Music Magpie a couple of times but it's such a tedious process, they act like they're doing you a big favour by giving you 28p for your CD and they take weeks to pay up.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    I'm impressed you managed to sell them at all.  I used to sell a lot of CDs and (mostly) DVDs on eBay and Amazon Marketplace, but the prices have got lower and lower, they're almost as worthless as VHS tapes now.  There are people selling DVDs on Amazon for 1p!  By the time Amazon have taken their cut and you've paid the postage, you've actually lost money.

I've used Music Magpie a couple of times but it's such a tedious process, they act like they're doing you a big favour by giving you 28p for your CD and they take weeks to pay up.

Have you ever traded in CDs or DVDs to amazon?  
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23113

No, it wasn't something I was aware you could do although god knows how much business I've done with Amazon over the years. 

Can you just trade them in bulk?  Does it have to be stuff you've bought from them?

(Sorry, I know I could look this up on their site but I'm being lazy asking you...)

Philly_Q said:

No, it wasn't something I was aware you could do although god knows how much business I've done with Amazon over the years. 

Can you just trade them in bulk?  Does it have to be stuff you've bought from them?

(Sorry, I know I could look this up on their site but I'm being lazy asking you...)

Oh sorry, just looked up and you can't trade in CDs....I'm surprised by this.    You can only trade in books, consoles, games, and console accessories.

Basically you have to enter in every bar code and use it to search the Amazon database.  Once you found the barcode you select the corresponding item and amazon tell you how much it's worth.  If you are trading in books you won't get much for them.   I traded in a lot of 27 books and the most valuable was Mike Carey's Lucifer Book One Trade paperback, which I bought for £20 from Forbidden Planet.  Amazon gave me £4.23 for it.  You can only trade in books that are in good or fair condition.   I got £56.80 for those 27 books, which wasn't too bad.  They gave me 25p for Sandman TP vol 9 (which is £13.48 new on amazon and £8.44 used).