Got a Zoom, but miss easy patch switching?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Cheers brah!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    Forgive me, @digitalscream , can we recap please :0) 

So this mod allows you to control your Zoom G5/G3/MX70 patch from a midi controller via its USB port? 

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26710
    ROOG said:
    Forgive me, @digitalscream , can we recap please :0) 

So this mod allows you to control your Zoom G5/G3/MX70 patch from a midi controller via its USB port? 
    Yep. Cool, innit?
    <space for hire>
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    It is, it is what the Zoom boxes needs

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3673
    Presumably, depending on the midi controller, you can switch whole patch banks instantly or just individual effects within patches? That would be brilliant if that's the case.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Yep - if you plug it into your computer and take a gander at the device manager, it comes up as a class-compliant MIDI device. It's possible it's a SYSEX dump, but it'd be really bloody nice if it was just done with CCs.

Shows as USB Audio on mine. However, MIDI-OX (handy utility)...

http://www.midiox.com/

...shows "Hall of Fame Reverb App" as a MIDI device, but when I try to add it so that I can monitor what gets sent, MIDI-OX barfs with an error about not enough memory. MIDI-OX works with the MIDI port on my audio card. Sonar doesn't see it at all.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

Goddammit. This thing's driving me nuts...it works fine if it's the only MIDI IN device, but hang it on the MIDI OUT of the Voodoo Lab Control Switcher and it just refuses to do its job (lights on, but nobody's home).

FFS.
    <space for hire>
    edited March 2015
    Further update...

Controller -> Eleven Rack -> USB host gadget: works
    Controller -> ART SGE Mach II -> USB host gadget: works
    Controller -> Eleven Rack -> ART SGE Mach II -> USB host gadget: works
    Controller -> Voodoo Lab Control Switcher -> Eleven Rack: works
    Controller -> Voodoo Lab Control Switcher -> USB host gadget: fail (this is the only one I want to work)

I have no sodding idea what the problem is here, and my lack of electronics/MIDI knowledge is probably at fault. Whatever it is, there's something different about the Control Switcher's MIDI implementation, and I'm damned if I can figure out what that is.

Decided to just get a MIDI splitter and have done with it. I need it to work more than I need to know what's wrong ;)
    <space for hire>
    Hmmm. Seems that it shouldn't work for the situations it seem to. Basically, it's just a serial port - the voltages are all wrong for a MIDI port, meaning that you need an optoisolator, a couple of resistors and a diode or two in there as well.

Thing is, I've discovered it's all pointless (for me, anyway) - the newer Zoom gear (MS70CDR, MS100BT, G3, G5 etc) don't support delay/reverb trails when switching patches. That means that the entire problem this was designed to solve is actually still going to be there.

I'm back to either tapdancing with a pair of delay pedals, or buying a GT-100 (which I can ill-afford right now). Bah.
    <space for hire>
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    With the external footswitch, you can assign it to a delay pedal, pressing it will "input mute" the delay and you will have trails that way.

Any use to you? I do understand it's not switching an entire patch. I'm not aware of it being a possibility of having trails when switching them.