Natural amp feedback when DIing to mixing desk...

What's Hot
StefBStefB Frets: 2355

On the face of it this seems like an obvious question that I really ought to know the answer to after many years of gigging.  But, as I never get to stand in front of the PA speakers I hope I can be forgiven for not knowing the answer.

My band mic everything up, for sound quality and volume management rather than for outright volume purposes.  I've recently started using the Red Box DI output of my H&K Grandmeister 36 (rather than the Beta 57 I normally use), for convenience and ease of setup.

Towards the end of a few songs/solos I'll turn around and stand next to the cab for some natural feedback.  Question - as the feedback is heard from the speakers, and the speakers are no longer mic'd up, will the feedback still be heard through the front of house PA?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    Yes. The signal is still going through the DI output.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    ICBM said:
    Yes. The signal is still going through the DI output.
    Thanks for the prompt reply :-)
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Or, if it makes more sense, yes - the guitar amplifier is the thing producing that sound, and the DI just does whatever the amplifier's doing.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Or, if it makes more sense, yes - that sound is the result of the strings on your guitar vibrating, and the DI just does whatever your strings are doing.