Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tendonitis - any sufferers?

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Yes I already did. And I've stopped taking them - I still feel crook, though (feel burnt inside - really nasty).

So I'm now onto localised Diclorfenac based gels and Ibruprofen. If that doesn't solve it then there is talk of some kind of steroid injection into the Tendon itself - sounds revolting.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    impmann said:
    Yes I already did. And I've stopped taking them - I still feel crook, though (feel burnt inside - really nasty).

So I'm now onto localised Diclorfenac based gels and Ibruprofen. If that doesn't solve it then there is talk of some kind of steroid injection into the Tendon itself - sounds revolting.

I had a steroid injection into my knee. It sounds worse than it is, provided having injections doesn't bother you.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• teradaterada Frets: 5113

impmann said:

Sorry to hear that! Go for the voltarol gel with diclofenac. That stuff is magic.

As for the irritation, I'd be hitting the gaviscon, and if that doesn't help, ask your gp for a proton pump inhibitor (basically reduces stomach acid).

• DaleftyDalefty Frets: 508
    I've said it once and I'll say it again, what you want is Oxycontin and Oxynorm, or to start playing lefty. 

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    I have this really odd thing where the palm of my left hand swells if I lift anything too heavy. Doesnt really affect my playing but it gets hot and itchy. Carrying my amp in one hand is a good example when it flairs up. The Doctor hadnt heard of it and wanted to refer me out of curiosity. That never came and I haven't chased, so am none the wiser. I fear it may affect my playing as I get older.  
  • Something that has helped to cure my problems (for which i had to stop player for a fair bit of time) is wearing wrist braces in bed. Our wrists and hands get into all sorts of weird contortions whilst we sleep, and it really hinders recovery!
  • tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

Question how did you get it in the first place I am coming up to 70 play and teach every day - bash the piano for blues and thankfully so far no problems  I would do an analysis of playing style posture and wrist and finger positions and DO WHAT THE GP SAYS  Best of luck with it 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30921
    Yes, but in my achilles. It really affected my playing and the physio advised me to get smaller lower pedals.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited March 2015
    I had tendonitis in my wrist a few years back, mainly because I was playing too much and I type all day for work, that was at least 10-14 hours wrist action a day,  I alleviated the condition by relearning my playing position, mainly by keeping the wrist straight, because this is where the tendons are stretched when they pass through the carpal tunnel in the wrist. For a while, I used a wrist brace with a metal support to keep the wrist straight, so I got into the habit of keeping the wrist straight. What I also found very important is keeping the fretboard face vertical, not angled backwards. this means that you can't see the notes on the fretboard, but there's a lot less stress on the tendons, you may have to lean forward when sitting to achieve this, but avoid back stress.

Best of luck, be patient it takes time. :)

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30921
    The issue is tendons have no blood supply.

Good advice is to get a TENS machine and use electro. If it doesn't work, you've hours of bedroom pleasure to look forward to after.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited March 2015
    My advice was obviously specific to the angle of my wrist trapping the tendons.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • paul_xtpaul_xt Frets: 86
    I've been diagnosed with De Quervain tenosynovitis, which is the tendon on the nail side of my thumb. he did the finkelstein test on me, and the missus had to restrain me from chinning me it hurt that much!

im currently in a brace to support my thumb and have physio booked for a few weeks time, but no guitar playing for the time being...which is shit. having said that, id rather rest it and be able to play comfortably as and when it heals.

Cheers

Paul

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Good luck, fella. I hope it heals quickly for you.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    A different problem but I've broken my index fingers on both hands a few times playing rugby and other unsavoury youthful pursuits. 

The left one hurts a lot occasionally, I'm worried it will develop into arthritis one day and end my playing, or seriously hinder it.....

I will start work on my slide technique if and when it arrives.

Good luck with it-horrible to feel pain doing your hobby.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Dalefty said:
    Man the fuck up and switch to playing lefty, problem solved, you can play guitar again today if you go out and buy a lefty.

DaLefty
    How incredibly helpful. What an asset to the forum you are.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    edited April 2015
    As always, I recommend these to any guitarist and anyone who suffers from Tendonitis/RSI

I use mine before and after for a couple of minutes.  It's enough to keep my hands, wrists and arms in good order and prevent any unwanted pain.  Can't fault them.  More info here.image
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    beed84 said:
    As always, I recommend these to any guitarist and anyone who suffers from Tendonitis/RSI

I use mine before and after for a couple of minutes.  It's enough to keep my hands, wrists and arms in good order and prevent any unwanted pain.  Can't fault them.  More info here.image
    @beed84 ;

What was the thing you linked to? If you remember?
  • Keep playing little and often and stuff your hands into an ice bowl after .
    It works wonders.
    Ive got savage arthritis in my hands and fingers Lumps on the top of my hands and lumps on my palms at the end of my fingers are like muscle that are easily removed but the bigger ones on my thumbs are more  like bone and a real pain.
    Just do what’s best for you man.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    edited October 2023
    beed84 said:

I use mine before and after for a couple of minutes.  It's enough to keep my hands, wrists and arms in good order and prevent any unwanted pain.  Can't fault them.  More info here.
    @beed84 ;;

@fretmeister ;;

Here you go: 

https://uk.rpmpower.com/applications/cure-repetitive-strain-injuries/

https://uk.rpmpower.com/product-category/nsd-powerball-gyro/

I think they've gone up in price, but you can get budget ones from places like Argos. Still, they're pretty inexpensive for what they do and I think every musician should have one IMHO, even if you don't suffer from conditions like tendonitis.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18769
    edited October 2023
    beed84 said:
    beed84 said:

I use mine before and after for a couple of minutes.  It's enough to keep my hands, wrists and arms in good order and prevent any unwanted pain.  Can't fault them.  More info here.
    @beed84 ;;

@fretmeister ;;

Here you go: 

https://uk.rpmpower.com/applications/cure-repetitive-strain-injuries/

https://uk.rpmpower.com/product-category/nsd-powerball-gyro/

I think they've gone up in price, but you can get budget ones from places like Argos. Still, they're pretty inexpensive for what they do and I think every musician should have one IMHO.
    Just noticed the thread resurrection.
    Was it the standard Powerball gyroscopic device that you found helped?
    If it was, anyone that would like one, drop me a line.
    I have an old one from at least 12 years ago, but I can't see what could change...
    Any interest & I'll dig it out & post a photo  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom