The John McGeoch Love and Appreciation thread

What's Hot
paulkpaulk Frets: 318
In my opinion one of the finest of his generation. Him and Richard Lloyd are the two guitarists that just turned my head around when I was starting out. What thinketh the peanut gallery?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited October 2013
    Cool, I'm going to listen to that later.

McGeoch's playing was how I wanted to play.  At that period I was without much direction musically:  I thought I could never be EVH so I latched onto the styles of people like McGeoch, Robin Guthrie, and Robert Smith.  I could never emulate them any more than I could manage EVH but I loved listening to guitar being played where it was part of a whole, rather than the limelight stealing playing of the new (as they were then) generation of rock guitarists. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I love his playing in Magazine and The Banshees. I'll give that a spin as soon as I get a chance,
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just seen this & will give the programme a listen soon. I always really liked later Banshees, but beyond that don't know much about him except he is very well thought of in some circles & that he played with PiL. Quite a gap really...

Interesting you mention Richard Lloyd, still really like some Television, esp Adventure & for a time was hugely influenced by them & very much liked his solo album Alchemy. Not that I could actually emulate them. Shame that he doesn't seem to be as well known as Tom Verlaine.

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Not a huge Magazine or Banshees fan but I thought he was great when teamed up with Lu Edmonds in PIL. Though probably not their most critically acclaimed LP, I thought "Happy?" was a very good album. 

• paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    Interesting you mention Richard Lloyd, still really like some Television, esp Adventure & for a time was hugely influenced by them & very much liked his solo album Alchemy. Not that I could actually emulate them. Shame that he doesn't seem to be as well known as Tom Verlaine.

In the early days of Television verlaine was certainly touted by the UK press as the guitar genius of the band and Lloyd was, in my opinion, criminally overlooked. He still teaches and i had the pleasure of taking a couple of skype lessons from him some years ago. Definitely an 'individual' but he was incredibly generous with his time and knowledge. Worth checking out.

I like McGeoch's work with Magazine the best - those first two albums are just chock-a-block full of really inventive and smart hooks/licks/riffs.