Rewiring a semi-hollow

What's Hot
Hi folks

How do you go about rewiring a semi-hollow guitar (classic layout: switch on upper horn, four knobs on lower bout, access only via f-holes). 

Can you solder everything outside the body and then somehow get the pots and switch etc into position? 

I'm thinking about doing it to my guitar but I don't know that I can face it but I know a tech will charge a fortune for it. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Yes, you can solder outside and then get everything back into position inside using string or surgical tubing. It's as much fun as you would imagine.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4144
    I made it very easy on myself and (most-importantly) had an access cover built into my Chibson when I ordered it. Secondly though, and quite usefully indeed, I also ordered my replacement pickups with these lovely little pins/lugs.

They allow you to do all the soldering prior to mounting anything in the guitar, then just push them into place through the f-holes. I wired up short "female" leads to the relevant spots on the pots/switches to make this easier.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Is there no cutaway under the bridge pickup?  in fact with the switch in the horn, I wouldn't be surprised if the block is in two parts with a full gap under the bridge pickup, it won't be at all easy for the manf. to wire without it.  If it has the gap, wire up everything (you'll be making an LP type loom rather than a classic 335 because of the position of the switch) except the neck pickup lead and the tailpiece /ABR string earth.  The switch in the upper horn will be a pain, a lot of wire and most likely a right angle switch that will jam in all the wrong places in the horn.  Put all through the cutaway in the centre block remembering to wire up the neck pickup before you push its volume pot in.  Then surgical tubing / string to get everything in the 'oles, starting with the output jack.  Once you've done it a few times, it becomes routine ... :-O

You're in Edinburgh?  I'd happily help you through the hell of doing it one evening, if you want.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12923
    @eschap

Thanks for the info, really helpful.

I'm in Edinburgh, yes. I've decided I want to do it but I need to save up a bit to get the parts first so it might be a while yet. I'd be delighted if you could help me do it, I'll provide the beers when it happens :-)

Sam
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    I've done it once...

...doctor said I would get over it in time and yes, the pain, dulled by fading memory, had perhaps started to ease...

...AND THEN YOU ONLY HAVE TO GO AND POST THIS!!!! 
    (Sound of sobs fade into the distance as white van takes the poor wretch back to that place where everything can be seen through a sedated haze) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom