The 'How good can you get by Christmas challenge' !

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4548
    great thread. see you again at christmas
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Barney said:
    im going to work through the Jamie abersold book until things become second nature for me...
    the one im working on right now is getting it together so working on playing over more dificult chord changes than i usually would and trying to bring out more of a jazz style in my playing...

also iv stopped using legato and hybrid picking in a effort to improve my alternate so where as i would normaly use them and neglect alternate im not doing that now..

i normaly record my playing so i can hear or see any good points or bad points so heres my practice over a Abersold backer using random chord changes

Nice work.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    thanks @viz trying to work through all of this stuff in both jazz and fusion type of styles.... hope its going to be a productive year .. :)
    Fun isn't it? I'm still on coltrane subs.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz;621072" said:
    Fun isn't it? I'm still on coltrane subs.
    great stuff. .i havnt looked into any of that stuff but will be..think im enjoying myself more on guitar than i ever have and have direction which always helps..lol
  • paisleysoulpaisleysoul Frets: 60
    @hertz32 What flash cards do you use? I'm looking for some.
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    @Hertz32 & @paisleysoul, maybe not quite what you were looking for, but if you want the challenge of working through some scales why not download @viz's Ultimate Guide, see the link for info and a download link...

• guitarblasterguitarblaster Frets: 383
    Super cool playing Viz! Hah the first video, well done! Can't wait to see the next one! 

Those flash cards look cool but I don't want to overload myself now - but maybe i'll get some in the future!

I'm still doing my warm up - but it's 10 mins now with a metronome. 

The 5 mins on the random recall of the notes on the fretboard.

Then I do 30 mins of Lick Library Blues type stuff (I'm in 12 bar blues mode at the moment) 

Then I'm learning songs - for 30 mins. I was having trouble deciding what to practise/learn - but this has started to make things easier for me in my head. I have artist days! For example 'This is all Jimi Hendrix' and don't learn/practise anything else by anyone else. It's working well I think!

You mean Barney not Viz!
    Heh oh yeah! Sorry, Barney
    guitarblaster;621506" said:
    Heh oh yeah! Sorry, Barney
    no probs .. :)

• I'm thinking one PRS SE, one mexican Fender and maybe an American Jazzmaster. That'll make me really good, right?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    littlethoughts;622360" said:
    I'm thinking one PRS SE, one mexican Fender and maybe an American Jazzmaster. That'll make me really good, right?
    Haha yeah! That's it! Some true bypass pedals are needed if you're still having trouble.
    another goal for this year is to improvise through Giant steps...so this is the first attempt. .lots of work yet its a start over this awkward chord prog

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    My goal is to learn flamenco basics. I've got the Juan Martin books on order and have been following a few YouTube vids.

Picado is hard!
  • Barney;634572" said:
    another goal for this year is to improvise through Giant steps...so this is the first attempt. .lots of work yet its a start over this awkward chord prog

Don't know how I missed this! Cool stuff, sounds totally bonkers! That must be hard to remember/hear the changes!

It's funny, mellowsun, how I feel I'm doing well with my practising and then you mention flamenco and im just thinking 'geeze there's something else I have no idea how to play!' - the guitar is such a vast instrument! You can be a pro at one thing and clueless at everything else!