30-50w Valve head or combo.......

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 183
edited April 2015 in Amps
this is a speculative question, which will become real once gigging funds have built up enough...I'm after a second amp.  Valve.  I already have an Engl Screamer 50.  The new one will be a backup amp and also something to give me a warmer sound for different syleee gigs (I have a hankering to funk, play some new wave stuff and also blues noodle).  In my band we play rawk - indie through classic rock.

30-50watts.  Valve.  Really good with pedals so I can run it clean/edge of crunch.  I'd marginally prefer a head as I have a 2 x 12 cab (bought primarily to warm up and broaden the sound of the Engl)

Budget max £500 s/h

suggestions for amps that I should be GASSING for please (just in case a wedge falls into my lap)

ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31664
    http://www.jetcityamplificationstore.co.uk/product/jca50h/

That falls well within budget brand new, in fact get two!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool;579540" said:
    http://www.jetcityamplificationstore.co.uk/product/jca50h/

That falls well within budget brand new, in fact get two!
    This was my first thought for a dirty clean sound. Might not be great for funk, but the engl will cover that - they have a nice clean sound.

I suspect you'd use that for your rock gigs because it'll probably kick the engl's arse :)

Alternatives - Laney lh50 - two channels, great cleans, good crunch, smaller form factor, super cheap second hand.

Or, if you're lucky, you might find some kind of Marshall Plexi/jtm 45 or clone used for that kind of money. Maybe. You can sometimes pick up jmp50 combos fairly cheaply, certainly sub 600 quid. I'd imagine they're pretty excellent for what you want, I quite liked the master volume jmp combo I tried, although it was a bit harsh at bedroom volume it was brilliant once the master went up a little (ie loud empty house practice or above). Big and heavy, mind.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    thanks guys

just looking at the jet city videos - quite a range at a bargain price.  I was thinking s/h more likely, mainly as I can buy/sell without taking a significant hit if needs be :)
    nickp said:
    thanks guys

just looking at the jet city videos - quite a range at a bargain price.  I was thinking s/h more likely, mainly as I can buy/sell without taking a significant hit if needs be :)
    True, and they rarely crop up used, as the hundred-and-something quid you'd get for it means you may as well hang on to it.
    That said, at least you get a warranty.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i bought my 50w head for 180 and sold it for just under that...all second hand...the only reason i bought second hand was becasue one came up at exactly the the time i wanted to buy, otherwise i would have bought new

i also modded mine...if you want reference of what the mods do, check out this video...

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    Is it just me, or is that clean sound absolutely awful?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ab2014ab2014 Frets: 89
    Peavey Delta Blues
    Is it just me, or is that clean sound absolutely awful?
    No it's not just you, but it is a terrible recording of some fairly ugly-sounding pickups.
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    I'd recommend a Peavey Classic 50, it should do everything you've said. The 2x12 combos are readily available second hand within your budget, the heads are as rare as hens teeth though....
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Don't know if it's the 22 or 50 but there's still a jet city head in Cambridge cash converters. Been there months - don't think they've webbed it - so might be worth an offer.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• stickersticker Frets: 869

Orange Rocker or Rockerverb series ?

seriously versatile , take pedals well  . look cool ...

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Laney LH50 ii

Can be had for sod all and does cleans surprisingly well
    I think it can run on 2 types of tubes as well?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

Just my 2penn'oth on a practical level?

Two twelves will be louder than one hit with 50watts but a "twin" 50W combo is going to be heavy. I would go for a head and a 2x12.

That combination should cope with almost anywhere.

Dave.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Those 30w Orange heads that they stopped making (Rocker?) might be just the thing, they have a nice clean and rawk. If you have the funk on your mind then fender cleans are probably in there too. So standard answer is a second hand Hot Rod Deluxe. Complete package for about £350 used and no hit if you move it on.

ooh the rocker is a tasty idea...trouble is that I want to buy it now :(
    ESBlonde said:

Really?  are you sure that you aren't just indulging in a bit of pre easter baiting of a forumite.  There is no GAS fund atm - I have to wait until gigging restarts