GigRig Generator plus Distributor versus Diago Powerstation versus VisualSound 1-spot (yes again!)

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
edited April 2015 in FX
So it seems to me.. that actually... there isn't much difference between these combos. Am I right?

I want to go to a smaller board setup - one that is flat, as I have decided I don't actually like the Pedaltrain's sloping form factor. But to do this I would need to get rid of my Voodoo Labs PP2+. It's just too big. So thinking that since I've gone over to a TC Triple Delay, I could probably go back to a regular daisy chain PSU. This wasn't an option with the two DD7's because the DD7's don't like sharing power sources.

I don't want to spend the extra if I don't really have to. Leaning towards the Powerstation because it'll give 3000ma, rather than the 1700ma the 1-spot gives you. But it does mean the transformer is on the board, which could be a problem if it ends up near the wah pedal. So the 1-spot wins from that perspective. There again... I've had the 1-spot before and the cable goes really horrible and ratty over time. I had a Powerstation years ago too, and it started to lose power when the cable came loose at the transformer a bit.

Which begs the question... even if they are all technologically the same, is the GigRig setup better from a longevity perspective? I'm looking at the images of the GigRig Generator, and the cable that would connect to the Distributor doesn't look any better built than the cable on the Powerstation! So I'm a little reluctant... checkout the prices:

GigRig Generator plus Distributor - 5000ma - £130
Diago Powerstation - 3000ma - £60
VisualSound 1-spot - 1700ma - £35

Not decided on the board itself yet. Might just build a custom one and then get one of those MONO pedalboard bags.

(sorry for another GigRig comparison thread!)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    This is the layout. Much prefer having it all flat on the ground. Maybe introduce a very slight lift for the back pedals, but I like having two rows, as opposed to three with my PT2:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/630473/101_FUJI/Board.jpg
  • Not sure about the others, but my Diago - which I've owned for over 5 years - has never failed me and has powered nearly everything I've put in front of it.
    Excellent customer service too.
  • I've been using a Diago Powerstation for a few years now, and haven't had any noise issues with it. The advantage is that you could start the chain at the reverb end of your board, keeping it nice and far away from the wah if it's problematic for you. That and all the diago adaptors available are really attractive, to me at least. If you end up with some interesting stuff, ala old EHX/George Dennis/Old D.O.D. pedals, you can get the right end for it. Even 18v!
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah always had good deals with them in the past. Btw just calculated my board, and based on online figures (maybe not the most reliable?!) my board needs 506ma.
  • Yeah, I was a noob (arguably still am) when I bought the Diago, and the chap from Diago promptly responded to my numerous emails about volume boosting for solos, eq pedals and other stupid stuff I shouldn't have been bothering him about :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    keeping it nice and far away from the wah if it's problematic for you.
    That's definitely the plan dude, whichever way I scratch this. I can't have my wah on the Pedaltrain because it's too close to the PP2, and it pisses me off tbh!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8554
    I used the Diago Poswestation for several years and it was great, actually quiter than my current Coiks is, only moved on because I wanted isolated outs on each tap.

I used it with a Gigrig distributor with great success for keeping cables tidy. The Gigrig stuff is good but build wise it's not a huge step up from the Diago, and nowhere near Coiks, in fact the distributor wouldnt survive stepping on it in socks.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    at that ma you could use the dinky diago. Thats good for 1000ma. 
    Unless you want big scalability? 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I'd go with the diago.

I've had a micropower for 3 years and it hasn't failed me yet.(thought it had once but it was a dodgy pedal)

Picked up a Diago from Ivor Mairants this morning. PP2+ coming to the classifieds soon!
  • I'm about to buy another Diago.  One thing I'll say about it though where it's lacking in comparison to the One Spot is when it comes to self-defence.  If whilst you're playing someone attempts to attack you can unplug the One Spot, touch said attacker with the plug pins and it emits a charge large enough to tickle even the angriest on aggressors.  I suggest that if you choose a Diago over a One Spot that you always carry a spud gun hidden in your socks when gigging.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I'm about to buy another Diago.  One thing I'll say about it though where it's lacking in comparison to the One Spot is when it comes to self-defence.  If whilst you're playing someone attempts to attack you can unplug the One Spot, touch said attacker with the plug pins and it emits a charge large enough to tickle even the angriest on aggressors.  I suggest that if you choose a Diago over a One Spot that you always carry a spud gun hidden in your socks when gigging.

haha! That did actually happen to me once!
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4308
    The GigRig is only the solution if
    1. You want a big board
    2. You dont know what you might want to put on it.

IF you are settled on your pedals, AND you will only ever need a few, there are cheaper solutions, but for flexibilty and expansion you cannot better the GigRig (with the caveat it wont do AC).

Damnit. The bloody thing is too noisy, and I don't understand why. Looks like I'm going to try and take it back. Is there a bloody small form-factor PSU with isolated outputs that can go on the board along with a wah?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9638
    Youve answered your own question Drew... Gigrig = unlimited power & silent
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    I used the diago micro with a weeping demon and the amt girl wah with no noise.

some people have reported that they had to return their psu devices due to noise. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Youve answered your own question Drew... Gigrig = unlimited power & silent
    But the thing is... technologically from what I can tell, there is very very little difference between all three of these units. They're all digital switching power supplies, even the GigRig. I could be wrong there, but that's what it looks like to me.

So I really don't think it's as simple as OMG GIGRIG MAKES MY DICK HARD... or anything like that.
  •  I view power as being the most important pedal. You  post on here a lot and strike me as being very into your craft. Do yourself a favour and get decent power. Stick it top left of your board on the top of your board.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8554
    Drew_fx said:
    Damnit. The bloody thing is too noisy, and I don't understand why. Looks like I'm going to try and take it back. Is there a bloody small form-factor PSU with isolated outputs that can go on the board along with a wah?
    You could try and add Diago isolators to specific pedals but then it gets pricey and you may as well get something more integrated. 

How about a Voodoo Lab ISO 5 or the new Coiks DC5, both fairly compact, with 5 isolated outs, about £115 quid a piece.
    I've still got my Voodoo Lab PP2+ btw, which is basically silent... until it's near my wah pedal. It works great underneath the Pedaltrain but I can't put my wah on the board in that case. Plus it's a bit too big and bulky for a flat board, so I was looking at other options.