SOLO of the Month #2 - Chat

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3052
    I'm using Reaper for my DAW and a Line 6 Toneport GX.

I'd recommend plugging straight into your focusrite and using a plug-in like Guitar Rig or Amplitube. It may be that using the Pod into the focusrite is causing the issue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    Just tried it with the guitar straight into the focusrite, straight into the DAW, and I'm still having the same issue..
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    You on windows mate? There's a few tweaks up up can make to optimise for audio recording.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    Yeah I'm on Windows.

Managed to get it mostly sorted, excuse the very sloppy playing (the terrible tone is a Line6 Pocket Pod!)

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited April 2015
    Just sent mine in.  I also made a higher gain slightly rockier version but this one is marginally better I think.  I'd post them both if I could.  Didn't manage the acoustic one..  Tried but it sounded crap.  I did do an acoustic one for last months which I probably should have entered instead.
    Just had a listen to the three entries so far.  You lot are just too good....
  • @strtdv

Hi if that is your entry could you please make it downloadable so that I can add it to the FB soundcoud account.

Thanks,

Sheldon
    Old Is Gold
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I thought I'd have a go at this - thanks for the backing track, I really enjoyed playing along. I've emailed my entry in.

My timing is a bit off in places I know, and I think I ended up with a bit too much reverb on. Didn't go for the higher gain approach because I couldn't get a tone I liked. I'm pretty new at recording onto the computer.

Fascinating listening to the different approaches here and I enjoyed all I've listened to so far.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

What's the deal with file formats and size?

I found some nice recording Freeware called Audacity.  It's actually free and not a demo version and it can do .Wav and MP2 and MP3.

The Wav file is 16mb.  The Mp2 kills my tone (Recorded on the Laptop mic straight from the Stereo and Marshall with no lineouts here)....lol.  But seriously it does.

I wouldn't mind sending something in so I can get some free critics of how to improve or whatnot.

Thanks @Antique_Guitars. ; Thanks for putting the time in!

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    I've usually sent m4a or wav files and I know he can accept mp3.  Soundcloud also accepts most file types for upload.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Sambostar said:

I found some nice recording Freeware called Audacity.  It's actually free and not a demo version and it can do .Wav and MP2 and MP3.

I recorded mine with Audacity, fwiw, using a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. I sent a FLAC file in (half the size of a WAV but still lossless) but then also wondered about what file format I should have sent in ...
  • @Sambostar yeah any file size is ok
    Old Is Gold
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3076
    edited April 2015
    Just sent mine in. I've had to go with what I've got - a bit repetitive but the one with the least mistakes.. a lot of fun. I use Reaper and Amplitube with a Tascam US1641. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Only a few days left to enter
    Old Is Gold
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    Just realised I've missed this month's deadline
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Dont worry there will be a new one soon

And yes entry now closed
    Old Is Gold