Guitar pedal I/O direction..

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6165
Just musing...

So.. given that we English speakers read from left to right.. and that amps and pre-amps feed the signal chain from left to right..(when facing the control panels).  

How come guitar pedals feed the signal in the opposite direction?  Who started this I wonder?  Has this always been the convention and has anyone bucked the trend?

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Kinda makes sense because most of us are right handed and the lead comes out from the right side of our guitars. If we had to feed effect pedals in front of us from the left, the lead would have to cross our path compared to not at all if we fed the effects from right to left.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    This is why I've always been reluctant to import pedals from the USA....where I believe they put the drive on the other side...... :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It makes sense to me, based on where the cable comes out of the guitar.  Cables crossing over your feet are a pain.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    It's them Muslamics... trying to get us to go from right to left!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Bucking the trend - probably lots of examples from the earlier years of effects pedals. Two ready examples are the Shin Ei Fuzz Wah and the Interfax Harmonic Percolator.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I think all of the Eventide pedals are left to right (not sure about the H9)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30310
    Fuzz Face: left to right.
  • danodano Frets: 1595
    Think about building a pedal... you have it upside down.... so working left to right ends up back to front when you plug into it.

I collect my £5.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    'Backwards' pedals are really annoying.

Ages ago I bought a Mesa V-1 pedal on Ebay. Tried it briefly at home, working fine. Took it to a gig, I think the same night but definitely within a couple of days before I'd had a chance to try it a band practice - provided-backline gig so I was expecting to get all my overdrive from my pedals, and the V-1 was going to be my 'amp channel'. Plugged it into the insert loop on my pedalboard with it to the side.

No sound when the pedal was on. Worked fine in bypass so I knew it wasn't a cable issue. Power getting to it no problem, valves lit up… oh well, must be broken. Then had the bright idea that if I turned the volume down to zero the output jack would be effectively an on/off footswitch, so I could use it to change channels on the provided amp! Worked perfectly. Did the gig and thought I was very clever for lateral thinking, even if it was the world's most expensive footswitch for a Crate amp…

Next day, I took the pedal apart. Couldn't find anything wrong with it at all. Puzzlement. Finally I decided to test it in the loop of the pedalboard just in case there was some sort of bizarre compatibility issue - and discovered that with the patch cables I had been using, one of them wouldn't quite reach the jack on the V-1… and then it finally dawned on me that I'd had it plugged in backwards :D.

So the moral of the story is, all pedals should be right-in/left out, or people who are supposed to know what they're doing end up feeling very silly :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom