£500 head pedal platform....

shaunmshaunm Frets: 1634
What would you guys suggest? I'm not into heavy music. The amp needs to be able to be used in a pub/club gig situation and for home use.

the £500 limit can include second hand.

What would you buy?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    My immediate thought (even though you'd probably not need all the gain available), is a Peavey JSX. The clean channel is a really good strong clean, which takes pedals well.
    Plenty of power for gigging. Less practical for house... But you just keep the master down.
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 634
    What about a VHT Special 12/20 or Special 44? They seem to be designed to work well with pedals and have a built in 9v power supply to power them.

I'm not aware of anyone in the UK who stocks them, but you can get them from Thomann.
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    Fender amps are great if you want to use drive pedals for crunch and lead tones..

I have a '72 dual showman which is brilliant for this.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8551
    These are about £800 new, so if you could find one S/H it would be about right. Not been a fan of the gainy stuff I've heard from the Victory amps, but this looks like a great compact and loud clean platform.

• FretKingFretKing Frets: 53
    £500? 

Silverface Fender...Bassman, Showman, Bandmaster...

• strat84strat84 Frets: 322
    FretKing said:
    £500? 

+1
    Picked this up a few years back for £300.. I think that is on the cheaper side of what they generally fetch but you should be able to pick one up for £400-£500.. I just put a reverb pedal in front and a couple of overdrives.. Great clean tones, takes pedals well and if you get the chance to crank it up the overdrive is great!! 

• Peavey have their classic 20 mini head coming out soon which should be sub £500 new. My classic 30 combo is great with pedals and I'm considering the head for gigs where we're using house back line and I dont want to get saddled with a Marshall AVT.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • FretKingFretKing Frets: 53
    strat84 said:
    FretKing said:
    £500? 

+1
    Picked this up a few years back for £300.. I think that is on the cheaper side of what they generally fetch but you should be able to pick one up for £400-£500.. I just put a reverb pedal in front and a couple of overdrives.. Great clean tones, takes pedals well and if you get the chance to crank it up the overdrive is great!! 

Lovely, you did well there mate \m/