Concerning Redplates......

What's Hot
stedsted Frets: 259
Been looking casually at things like the Tone King's, Carr's etc and whilst having my daily staring contest with the Coda website jumped on a few demo's of the Redplates. I've heard of them in passing but never delved into it but the YT demo's are very inspiring, kind of looking for a grab-and-go combo that will be used mostly at home, I have zero idea if this is the realm of Redplates, also the model's aren't exactly straightforward, almost all the ones on Coda's site seem to be missing from the Redplate site itself, very strange.

I really like the look of the RP50 but think it might be a tad expensive and loud as a mofo for a small clean combo for home use, especially as the Matchless doesn't look like it has any interested parties (Oh damn, looks like I'll have to keep it then......;-))

Anyway, just fishing for info and experiences, the search turned up some results that were mostly classifieds, hence the post.

Cheers you luscious lot.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stedsted Frets: 259
    Ok then, guess there's only one place left to ask, man, I hate resorting to this.......

TGP

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    @wazmeister is your man as he's owned redplate, tone kings and carrs, amongst every other high end amp!

Never tried a Redplate so can't comment but from the reports on here they are quite complex to dial in but sound great when you do.

I'm a happy Carr owner, the Sportsman is an epic grab and go amp, but those Tone Kings also look and sound fab from what I can see.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9612
    I'll chip in later !!
    Cheers guys
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
    edited April 2015
    I own a Redplate Blackverb. Was a combo converted it to head and cab

The amp itself is beautifully made. I had it out of the shell last weekend to sort out the reverb (the usual dodgy connection in the accutronics tank) Took some photos of the guts. All handwired, and considering how much is going on in there, very neatly done.

So what do you want to know?

@hywelg

Hi mate, just really wondering if these are a versatile home/small gig crossover amp? All the demos seem very interesting but they never tell the full story about volume, tweaking etc.

My situation is that I have just quit bands for a while, probably a good while! My usual rig is a Matchless Independence into a 2x12 and it's an absolute beast live for just about any style, alas it is *not* portable and definitely is not a home use amp as it needs the power section humming to get anything like a nice tone.

I'm after something that is portable, small gig worthy but good at lower volume, takes pedals well, has plenty of headroom but isn't the usual Fender decapitation bright.

I'm considering a trip to Coda to try a few but its over 200 mile each way from me so it would be nice to get an idea before that happens.

PS: your images don't appear to be showing?

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
    If you dont want to go all the way to Coda, I'm in Nottingham, have access to a studio Fridays Saturdays and Mondays where you could fire mine up loud if you wanted to. I would say that whilst it is versatile in the clean department to get the OD singing it does need to be loudish.

I use it with the clean set warm and full and then have the OD to just push it a little so it cleans up with pick attack. It will do loads more dirt but like most Dumble style amps the dirtier tones are for lead rather than rhythm. The tone sculpting controls are pretty wide ranging, with bright switch, Mode, and a couple of local negative feedback switches on the back in addition to the tone stack.

TBH the amp is too good for me, I'm not a good enough player to make it do my bidding (many people say the same thing about Two Rock amps, they are very revealing of poor technique) without it making me look sloppy.

When it was in the 1x12 Combo it was very portable, but I like the breadth of tone a good 2x12 gives. I have tried it with a few different cabs and like most Dumbles it likes a big cab. It is certainly gig worthy, with loads of volume on tap, and I run it through a Hotplate to quieten it a touch, and with this type of amp they work well down to about -8dB.

Having also given up gigging I'm not sure I'm going to keep this, I also have a DrZ EZG and a Ceriatone OTS which all did the same sort of thing as a clean base for pedals so at least two of them are going to have to go. I intend taking the BV to our next jam session to give it a direct comparison to my OTS. It think the BV will best the OTS but I am very loath to get rid of it as I built it and modded it quite considerably. The Dr Z is most defintely a gigging amp, it is very good indeed when wound up, but does not have anything like the tone shaping capabilities of the the BV.

In my experience, it is difficult to get an amp that will yield up a nice tone at low volumes and be capable of sustaining that at gigging volume whilst still being good at handling a push from a pedal in front. A lot of what I like about an amps clean tone ( and I suspect others do too) is the harmonics that are generated when a gain stage is pushed just a little. And I think its also the case that a power section that isn't really working doesn't sag quite as I'd like, giving a hard stiff response. So a 5-7 watt amp at home, at reasonable volume (still quite loud obviously) will yield some of those characteristics, unfortunately at gig volumes, with pedals in front its going to become a bit strained, probably sagging too much, maybe a bit too much compression from the gain stages and just a bit too much distortion when you pick hard.

My experience of Attenuators, Power scaling etc is that they only give up the goods provided you dont ask too much of them. So I'm sorry to say i think you need more than one amp! Alternately just find a really good pedal that you can put infront of your gigging amp, at low volume, and leave it on, at home. They do exist.

edited April 2015
    A stunning post by the wise Hywelg !

He addresses some of the problems that we have all faced, and it echoes my own journey... I searched for years for an amp that i. Provided great cleans ii. Could be made to bloom, overdrive, clip, provide harmonics (or whatever phrase that you prefer)... And Hywelg is right, you need more than one amp for this !

You simply have to play them to find the sound in 'your' head. Coda stock many of the good and great, and I settled after mucho spending on 2 Carrs... A Rambler (stunning cleans) and the Skylark (the best 'home'/small gig out there imho.

Right, Redplates... Hmmm, Ive had a love/hate relationship with them. Let me say right from the outset, THE best sound Ive personally ever had was through a Redplate CDS2, or maybe it was the Blackverb. Anyway, the do get that 'bloom' for me at low volumes, but (like all of em) are much better when driven.

I have had some quality issues with them unfortunately, but I guess that could happen with every amp. I rate the bigger size Redplates best - the transformers are bigger - and id try a RP Blackverb, Cds3, RP40/50 and def the Carr Skylark and Rambler.

Doug at Coda is amazing. Yes, it is a bit of a bastard to get to (!) but his service and patience are superb. Feel free to ask any more questions.

Thank you very much for the responses guys, I would be happy to stick with the Matchless for any potential gigging that comes along but like I said when I hear it at low volume and it sounds pants it does my head in because I know what its like when its turning and burning.
    I have certainly considered the Skylark and also the TK amps but these were a little below my radar, it looks like a trip to Coda would definitely be in order though as they seem to stock all the potential candidates I'm considering.
    I have enquired about the Skylark on here but the guy isn't exactly busting a gut to sell it and it's not really cheap enough for me to make a blind offer, same with the Falcon though I have other reservations about those.
    My biggest decision would be whether to chop in the Matchless or not, at present it just sits there unused but my god, I would have to be blown away by an amp to get rid of that one, I could see me going all the way to Coda, trying all his stuff and then buying nothing, thats not really how I would want to treat a shop.......other than Dawsons of course.
    Once again thanks for the input, it is very much appreciated @hywelg and @wazmeister
    @Sted - I'd stick with the Matchless. Very very rarely do you find an amp that you are COMPLETELY happy with, and you'd regret selling this later on at gigging time !

I've owned the Falcon and the Skylark, and the Falcon is a fun, home amp but the Skylark beats it in every way (except price of course), which you'd expect as its roughly double the price.

As someone who has spent thousands on amps, some with regret, my advice would be - PATIENCE !! Don;t let the GAS take over and force you into a purchase; in the way maybe a pedal would...
    @Wazmeister oh mate,,,,I've been there! I must be easily getting near 20k on amps I reckon, ridiculous behaviour! I'm not entirely happy with it, my last band was a 70's rock job and I had a EVH5150 for that, also gigged several Boogies, vintage JMP's, Cornfords.....
    All had their pro's and con's, usually I just use amplitube for home practicing but without that fix of valve tone after quitting the band I am missing it!
    I don't usually mind taking a gas fuelled blind punt if something is the right price and easily moved on but thats the catch with all these types of amps, there seems to be a very niche market for them so the used price is very difficult to judge.
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 234
    I tried several Redplates in Coda, all sounded great (some had minor issues, noisy valves etc) but I left with a Two Rock Studio Pro Plus 35, it just sounded better and suited "me", truly inspiring to play through.  Ended up buying a TR Jet 35 there too, nice drive channel but the clean on the Studio is the best and the Jet although rated 35w is not as loud.  I also had a Ceriatone OTS in the past and have a few old Fenders at home (DR, PR, Super, Tremolux).
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I bought @dickieguitar's Redplate CDS2 and play it every day. Poor Kemper sits unused. As I mentioned in another thread, it doesn't flatter the guitar or your playing. It just sounds great for me at house levels. Would love to hear it loud but I don't feel like the sound is missing anything - caveat - as long as you put a decent guitar through it.