Old (ish) fender amps?

2»

Comments

• jpfamps;583848" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Gassage;583745" said:There's a 1976 Pro Reverb going for £400 on UK Gear Exchange on Facebook

Are these not 4x10? Might be a bit big for my room...

2 x 12.

However you want the 40W non-master volume version not the later 70W version of this amp.
    Possibly still too big - I currently use a 1x12 bandit, and that's just about the right size. Could go a touch bigger, or if it's a head, a vertical 2x12... I'm quite fancying an older fender combo, though, and dropping it off to one of you amp techs to look at.

I'll bear that in mind - 40 watts seems loud but twins are beasts and still sound epic at low volume.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    Other than the ultralinear ones, pretty much any silverface Fender should be petty nice. As ICBM says, the Rivera era ones are nice too and don't command huge prices.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Gassage;583745" said:
    There's a 1976 Pro Reverb going for £400 on UK Gear Exchange on Facebook
    Are these not 4x10? Might be a bit big for my room...
    2 x 12.

However you want the 40W non-master volume version not the later 70W version of this amp.
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 412
    That Prosonic is for sale on here.....I used to have one, great amps.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I've had, and still have a few fender amps.

The Twin, sold it last year. I really liked it's clean sound, and it took drive pedals very well. It didn't get much use because I found using my '83 Rivera Concert 1x12 a bit nicer.

I picked the Concert up from Jay at hotrox for £475, it's a beaut. It can do crazy bright if you pull the treble pot to engage the bright switch. I love this amp and will never sell it. I've only tried the overdrive channel once, and couldn't get a decent tone out of it. The clean channel is all I need, with a few pedals.

I had a 1970 bassman 50 head, which was lovely and I used it a lot. But the head and cab thing wore me out in my band as I do pa and lights as well.. So it got sold when I bought the Concert. I spent £150 having it re-valved and serviced when I first bought it.

I still have, and use occasionally a 1972 Dual Showman Reverb. I spent £220 having it serviced and re-valved, the normal channel was also Blackfaced. This amp can also do crazy ice pick brightness with the switch engaged. It's silly loud, but it sound great at home. A nice thick clean sound.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72649
    Pete24v said:
    I picked the Concert up from Jay at hotrox for £475, it's a beaut. It can do crazy bright if you pull the treble pot to engage the bright switch. I love this amp and will never sell it. I've only tried the overdrive channel once, and couldn't get a decent tone out of it. The clean channel is all I need, with a few pedals.
    It's fairly easy to mod the dirty channel to put the tone stack after the distortion instead of before it. That will give you more gain, and much better-sounding distortion. I'm almost certain you don't need any parts, it can be done just by re-arranging what's in there.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I'd be interested to try that, I'm myself not good with electronics but I have a good friend who is a TV repair man who knows circuit diagrams etc
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    edited April 2015
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • bandmaster188;584835" said:
    They look great.

That one has been modded to blackface spec apparently, though. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, I quite like all the silverface fender amps I've tried as is.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297

there is a guy in the classified selling a mid 70's Dual Showman Reverb that would certainly be worth talking to.

I think this amp may actually sort your needs out pretty easy and gives you options for a cab selection, or even better, buy this head talk to Zilla and make it into a combo.

• i've got 2 of them. one is the tfl model as in the listing the other is a 76 master volume model. the 76 has been blackfaced the tfl hasn't. they both sound good to my ears but there are obviously differences. the black facing makes the amp sound fuller i think but it can unleash some parasitic problems. 
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
    Pete24v said:
    I'd be interested to try that, I'm myself not good with electronics but I have a good friend who is a TV repair man who knows circuit diagrams etc
    You said you got it from Hotrox so I guess you're in Nottingham or close. Take it to Dave Ball. Very good with amps and not expensive. He does Hotrox work now. I put his number in the Tech thread

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/28822/#Comment_28822

• bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    edited April 2015
    here a little clip of my tfl with a 4x10 cab straight in with a bucket load of reverb to give you an idea!

The Swamp City Shakers
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    nice,,,,
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>