PlastiKote Spray any users?

What's Hot
So i was visiting my local Wilkinson store the other day and while passing the clearance end unit i noticed they had a number of spray cans,a lot were just singles/odd colours but i managed to score x3 Pink Burst (Gloss) and x6 Baby Blue (Satin) @ the bargain price just £1 a Can

Using the chart at there site Ive done a quick mock up of the guitar to be refinished (a chipped/dented silver Maverick F1 i brought to refinish last year) im leaning towards the 80's hair metal pink atm

Ive done a few other rattle can resprays using CanBrush paints and Ive been very happy with the results (even candys)

Doing a quick Goo search shows a few ppl having issues with PlastiKote wrinkling but as many who had zero issues if they allow a few days to vent between recoats

Just wondering if anyone had any first hand does or dont's when using this brand ?

Cheers
Gizmo
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Worked just fine on one of our metal benches int' garden.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited April 2015

I've used loads of the stuff over the years for odd colour jobs along with loads of other spray products.  The Plastikote stuff works absolutely fine (much better than the Rustoleum equivalents which are an arse pain).  IMO and the new design cans (like yours) spray far smoother.  Like most products it is largely dependent on both your skill and experience.

The only thing is that dependent on which coat your are on it is it does take a significant time to cure at room temperature.  If you are patient in both your spraying and drying methods then there is no reason you can't get great results.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Clearly pink...
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1078
    Hey Guys

Thanks for the replies :)

RHC thanks for the heads up on the drying,Since posting ive read that 2 coats max per day with a 24hour vent/dry between re coats seems to be the best for PK otherwise its prone to wrinkle/lift,also it seems to be best to leave the base vent for at least a month or so before hitting it with a clear coat

I mainly stick to the CanBrush line of paints/clears because i like there colour range & there only £3-4 a can at my local handy store.
    but @ a £1 a can i thought id give the PK a shot

Ive learnt to be patient with refinishing from rattle cans,im just finishing up the final polish on a Ibby Saber i re-did from white to candy red that's been venting its clear coat for the last 6 months.

And yep chrispy i think im going with the Pink (will look for a 2nd cheap Mav to do in blue also)

Cheers
    Gizmo
  • DinosauriaDinosauria Frets: 67
    edited April 2015
    BTW the gloss finishes take longer to dry with these. Most of the time the "wrinkling" effect is caused by spraying too close to the body.

This is the same way you can crack/relic a guitar finish with compressed air, only because the lower layer hasn't gassed off/hardened yet and has a sort of rubbery texture it wrinkles up rather than cracking when exposed to the cold spray.
    Hey Guys

Well after Filling/Priming/Re-filling/Re-priming/x2 coats of Flat White during the past 2 weeks or so its time for the first coat Pink to go on.

And go on very nicely it does thanks to the "New Easy-Spray Technology",it really does do a much better job of getting the paint out the can than any other brand ive so far used (Canbrush/japlac/B&Q/Wilkos)

Looks like i missed a bit of flat white gather around the bridge pup route but i'll sand that back once ive given this first coat a good 24hrs to vent.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    That's looking really good :)
  • Very cool!
  • That's looking great!
    Hey Guys

Thanks for the feedback & Wow's :)

This stuff it a little slow to vent and is taking about 48 hours at 20c to dry/vent to a level where finger pushes on the surface don't leave a trace (i test on the surface of the mounting/hanging stick) much slower than other brands ive used before,but the key to a good refinish is Patience,Patience,Patience so i guess it just gets what ever time it needs.

Got a 2nd coat on earier today and the pink is starting to get a lot more solid/glossy,IRL it's a lot more like the tone of the vandenberg pink peavey's from the late 80's,which is fine by me as i love big hair rock guitars ;)

Ive read this stuff doesn't need a clear once its fully cured but i'll be doing some tests with one anyway to see if there's any bad reactions as i do like clear coat i can level back.

Cheers
    Gizmo
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So after letting coats 1-3 vent off for a few more days i put the final 4th coat on this Tuesday and as there as is very little OP in the final coat im going to give it another 2 weeks to finish venting and hardned off then move straight to a clear coat....daylight shot.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I've used this paint quite a bit, I'd skip the clear coat to be honest, when it's fully gone off it has a plastic like sheen to it, the name makes sense then :D
    Hey Underdog

Thanks for the reply :) i kinda like a clearcoat myself to get that looking though finish but i will take a look at it once its gone off and see how it buffs.

Cheers
    Gizmo
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Far too much patience for my liking. That guitar would be covered in thumbprint indents and messed up areas/peeling paint where I sanded it too soon if it was in my hands. Sigh.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Far too much patience for my liking. That guitar would be covered in thumbprint indents and messed up areas/peeling paint where I sanded it too soon if it was in my hands. Sigh.
    Haha been there done that on my first 2 or 3 refinishes ;) in the end i figured i was spending just as much time faffing and having the headache of fixing issues caused by my haste to see it done that i might as well you show some restraint and do it right first time

i'll just use the time this is being left to vent off to start my headless self build.
    edited May 2015
    So as this has been venting for about 10 days i decided to do a bit of a clearcoat test over this Plastikote (on the mount stick)
    using Canbrush clear gloss as i have a few cans handy from my last refinish.

Within a few seconds of spraying the Canbrush clear (at about 10 inches) the PK pink started to wrinkle and lift ,o looks like having to use PK's own clear gloss sealer if i want a CC.

Just on the off chance there might be some incompatibility ive emailed PK CS and gotten this reply.

"Thank you for contacting PlastiKote Customer Services.

We can confirm the PlastiKote Clear Sealer Gloss will be fine over the Gloss Pink Burst.
    This will not only give the guitar a great finish but adds extra strength and durability."
    Az do it at £5 a can so looks like i'll be ordering 4 or so as i still have 1 & 2/3 a can of the pink left + 6 cans of the blue! looks like a good excuse for picking up a few more beaters to refinish.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So the clear coat PK gloss had been sitting on this for a just over month or so to vent before getting a final level/polish,No smell coming off it and it was solid to the touch/nail,but once i started to level it with 1800 micro mesh the lot started to come off!,some sections came away in brittle chips others just dissolving in to a powder,very strange stuff ive never had any other rattle cans/brands react like that.

Thankful i managed to remove the whole clear coat without punching through the pink,going to go with Underdog's suggestion and lay another few coats of pink down and level/polish that to a gloss finish and skip the clear coat altogether....last time i'll be buying PK paint/clears for refinishing!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Looks great. I love pink guitars.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.