Wiring Help...

chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3983
edited April 2015 in Making & Modding
Does anybody know how to use this coil split idea...

http://lidbjork.homelinux.org/72cc/

... with a push-pull?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    I just get a page with a winamp skin, wrong link?
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3983
    I can't link to the page for some reason, if you click modifications you'll see what I'm trying to link to!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    Same as with any other coil split.

In this case he's made the red wire the coil split connection - that gets switched to either ground or the pickup hot (where he's connected the green wire) to bypass one coil or the other. You can do that just as easily with a push-pull.

It's not a great idea to do it with long unshielded wires though - these guitars are already fairly poorly shielded and it will cause noise - ideally you need to use a shielded cable. If I remember rightly the stock wiring has 4-conductor cable on the pickups, in which case it's already done for you and you just need to access the coil split connection at the control end.

An alternative method is to connect the coil-split connections to the unused terminal on each tone control, which will give you the single-coil sound when the tone is on 10, the humbucker when it's on about 8, and normal tone control below that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

So if I run a shielded wire from the point where the red wire is connected, I can connect it to a push pull or spin a split as normal?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    So if I run a shielded wire from the point where the red wire is connected, I can connect it to a push pull or spin a split as normal?
    Having found some pics, they don't have four-conductor cable as I thought but they do have two-conductor, so there's a better way…

Cut the black wire at just the right point to let you solder the end to the lower right terminal where the white wire is, and connect the bit that's still attached to the lower left terminal to ground - probably the other cable clamp since it doesn't look like there will be enough to reach the one which already has the shield wire on it. Now the ground is carried by the shield wire so there's no need for a separate one.

Then at the control cavity end, undo the black wire from ground, and that's now your coil split wire. You might have to extend it a bit to reach the tone control but it's then inside the control cavity, which should be shielded.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks @ICBM I will read this again when not in the pub, but thank you, much appreciated.