New speaker for Marshall 8080

What's Hot
aspnetaspnet Frets: 46
In a fit of nostalgia (and a misjudged game of 'ebay chicken') I recently picked up a Valvestate 8080. It was my first proper amp back in the early 90's and I'd always regretted selling mine after it followed me around like a faithful dog for over a decade. This one is in good nick, recently serviced and just what I remember - well, this one doesn't have scratchy pots so not quite the same.... 

I was interested in seeing what impact a new speaker could have...no real reason except I've never tried anything except stock. I've looked around but can't find any real suggestions for an alternative speaker. Celestion v30 is one of the few that has been mentioned after a trawl of historical forums, but is it wise to stick a 60w rated speaker in an 80w amp? I won't ever get near maximum volume with this thing which I assume makes it okay? Anyone got another other options?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72769
    G12T-75, if it doesn't have one already.

The natural looseness of the speaker really opens up the sound of the amp and makes it much more valve-like. It's fine in an 80W amp which doesn't deliver more than about 70W in reality - they did fit them as stock at some point, and I've never seen a blown one. No problem at all if you're not going to thrash it.

The V30 would probably work, especially as it's very dark at the top-end so it would roll off some of the buzziness, but it's also very tight at the bottom end. there's a good chance you'd end up with that dark muddy '90s' sound, although I haven't tried it personally.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • aspnetaspnet Frets: 46
    Thanks ICBM,

It does have a G12T-75. That might explain the lack of suggestions out there on alternatives. Guess it's a case of 'if it ain't broke'...
    If you do want to experiment, you could maybe try a G12K-100 - that's essentially a 75 with an H magnet, so it's beefier-sounding and more efficient.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    I used to have the same amp, used it continuously in 90's. Even bought a 1x12 ext cab. It was a brilliant rig, portable, powerful for pub gigs, big sound.... It lacked nothing ! ....until one day at a festival I let a metalhead use it & he burnt out the G12T-75 ...mind you he did totally overstretch it. But when i had the amp I never needed any other. Now I've got Marshalls, Fenders, H&K , Tech21, ....and I still fancy getting hold of an 8080 head, 8100 I believe, just as a spare for my 1976 Marshall 50 mkII head.
    The 8100 is a fantastic backup for anyone with a valve Marshall. You can pick them up for £100 in good condition, and they're lightweight and have 'the sound', or at least close enough.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    8080, 8100 are great amps.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback