Router chipout

So I made a jig Saturday like this one, after routing a groove and a slide in my router table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DzAAXzTYAE

Problem is, I haven't got a spiral cut bit, just a normal double bladed bit and it chips out to buggery.  I tried using a clamp and two pieces of scrap and the chip out is less, but still bad as the base of the finger joint. 

I think normal router bits are only good for plunge routing and template chasing, but I'm not about to spend £100+ on a CNC bit so I can make nine finger jointed drawers in a quarter of an hour. 

Any suggestions from experience? 

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    @WezV is probably better than me to answer, but are you making sure you are always routing 'downhill' relative to the direction of the grain?
  • nutboxnutbox Frets: 34
    Have you got the router place so the bits spinning in the right direction , would that cause brake out
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited April 2015
    I'm routing both sides of the end grain on edge, ie, the width of the wood with the wood pointing straight up in the air.  I might try routing against the motion of the bit so it's dragging, rather than wanting to bite it apart, except that is impossible as whichever side you feed it, it will bite the same.  Maybe use a smaller bit and thinner wood.  Finger joints are OK for a Teacrate or wine holder, but need a lot of filler, so no good for drawers.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock