IronGear vs Seymour Duncan

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited April 2015
    When your strings are right under the pole piece and you bend a string it goes away from the pole yet there is no discernible drop in volume. On a trem guitar the wrong bridge bucker means if anything that at least on a bend your moving into the pole piece rather than away...but really its only a cosmetic thing..... not tried any iron gears but can report a similar thing with toneriders compared to duncans n dimarzios that ive tried. Much preferred the toneriders i put in my prs custom 22 over the dragon 2s for example......so cheap isn't always nasty. I took a punt and was pleasantly surprised so i now can easily believe it be the same with iron gears....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I like Tonerider A2's ,covers a lot of tone..I fattened me strat up using them .I also had Tonerider rocksongs in my Dot.Great sounding .
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I gots teh rocksongs in my prs...very nice.
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Interesting that, always thought the string spacing was critical.
  • Can anyone suggest an iron gear alternative to the duncan sh-5 custom?
  • ICBM said:
    daveyh said:
    Guess which won? IronGears hands down. Tighter bass, screaming mids and sweet top end. Didn't expect that.
    This is exactly why I like (most) Duncans and don't like any Irongears I've heard.

I prefer looser/deeper bass to 'tight', I hate 'screaming' mids and I prefer sparkle and edge rather than 'sweet' top-end.
    You are a 'haunting' mids type of guy yes?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Anyone tried the Iron Gear Tele pickups?
    Ive just put an Iron Gear Steel Foundry in my Thinline Tele, I like it so much I have ordered the corresponding Bridge pickup, I expected it to drop theough the letterbox today.....I also have a pair of Blues Engines in my Epi 335 Studio Dot, very impressed with them too, same with the overwound and standard wound, Strat neck and middle pickups, As said previously, not good for the money, just good...
    I made a recording a while back of a Strat with Iron Gears and a Strat with Bare Knuckles,both guitars had same value pots, wood species etc, everyone I asked preferred the sound of the Iron Gears amd thought they were the expensive jobbies....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• I've just put Iron Gear Tesla Sharks (Slash alnico copy) in an old PRS SE Santana. Delighted with the results. Playing it alongside my Wood Library PRS, it doesn't sound thousands cheaper. So, big thumbs up from me.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Would you say iron gear are better than tonerider ?or roughly the same ?
  • @mark123 IG over Tonerider based on one experience. But I didn't think the TRs were poor at all. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom