Expression pedals, 25K vs 10k - what's the difference?

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7804
Well? Enlighten me please... why would I pick one over the other?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    It's to do with sensitivity - @GavHaus s just awful at that.

I don't know if it varies from pedal to pedal, or whether a greater variation is easier or harder to interpret , so I am interested in this thread - sorry I can't add to it :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164
    I think the majority are 10k. I don't understand it either, but I checked the manuals for the pedals I wanted to use my expression with, and they both recommended 10k. Just couldn't resist the previous answer.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7804
    GavHaus;589667" said:
    About 15k
    Phew, I was worried there might be some long technical explanation of why you should use 10k with some devices and 25k with others ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    frankus;589672" said:
    It's to do with sensitivity - @GavHaus s just awful at that.

I don't know if it varies from pedal to pedal, or whether a greater variation is easier or harder to interpret , so I am interested in this thread - sorry I can't add to it :)
    I assume that the range is defined by the effect unit, but the pot resistance affects the sweep through the range? I'm curious as mission list their 25k pedal as for strymon, eventide and @GavHaus MF wonderbox only.
    GavHaus;589687" said:
    10k works on the Moog too
    This is why I am curious... Mission explicitly list MF 104 as requiring 25k.. Or at least recommending a 25k

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Most of these pedals you do a toe down and toe up reading and it interprets it, that's the case for my m5 and Eventide...

So if you've a 25k pot and you stick a shim of wood under one side it's not going to go to 25k but that's okay when you calibrate it, it'll take whatever the top value is as it's top value.

If you're talking non-digital pedals they use voltage controlled inputs for their effects pedals so for them the actual value of the resistor is probably more significant.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    If it's used as a potential divider - stereo plug - then it shouldn't make any difference because it's the ratio of resistance that matters not the absolute value.

If it's used as a simple variable resistance (mono plug) then the 25K will stop doing much when it gets above 10K on a system designed for 10K and a 10K will only give 40% of the range on a system designed for 25K.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @ICBM interesting.. I had no idea that you had to be careful about such things.. so how do I know if I am using a stereo plug (where it would work) and a mono where I need to match?
    @ICBM interesting.. I had no idea that you had to be careful about such things.. so how do I know if I am using a stereo plug (where it would work) and a mono where I need to match?
    In the meantime I am going to write to Neunaber and Empress... and ask them :)
    Try it, usually. I can't think of any case where it would cause any harm - if it does it's a very badly-designed unit. Or have a look inside either the unit or the pedal and see how many connections the jack has.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Try it, usually. I can't think of any case where it would cause any harm - if it does it's a very badly-designed unit. Or have a look inside either the unit or the pedal and see how many connections the jack has.
    Ah, you see here, I am looking at buying the expression pedal in auction.. don't really want to buy if it's the wrong thing.
    Ah, you see here, I am looking at buying the expression pedal in auction.. don't really want to buy if it's the wrong thing.
    What make is it? Does it have a captive cable, or a jack?

It's a Mission SP1-25k

It's Jacks.
    It has TRS jacks so it will work with anything that needs the potential-divider type.

So I think both units also require TRS cable.. so it should work?
    Yes, although there is one remaining potential bugbear, which is the order of the tip and ring connections - but at least you know that the pedal physically contains the right components, so it would be simple to rewire if necessary.

lol, WHY can't they make this stuff easy :)

Will look into that too then!