re measuring resistance on pickups

surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
Apologies for the stupid question but......when measuring the resistance of a pickup do I set the meter to 200 (the lowest setting on my meter under) or one of the higher settings?

Ta!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Pickup will be kilo ohms resistance Guy.   I'd set my meter at 20k ohms
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Higher - the resistance will be in kohms
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
    Brilliant......many thanks!
    John_P said:
    Higher - the resistance will be in kohms

• surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
    Thanks Gordon!!!  :)

ESchap said:
    Pickup will be kilo ohms resistance Guy.   I'd set my meter at 20k ohms

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10693
    tFB Trader
    Mind you ... I have to add, that measuring a pickup's resistance will tell you practically nothing apart from if it's working ... and then you'll get a perfectly good resistance figure from a pickup with no magnets that can't possibly work!
    As a diagnostic it can tell you if there is a broken winding or an internal short in the coil ... but beware of using it for any comparative purposes between pickups for 'power' etc.
    Resistance is both a measure of the length of wire used ... that is how many turns, and the gauge of wire used. Turns count for power not gauge ... so when very fine wire is used the resistance figure is very high ... though the actual loudness may be not much greater than a pickup with, for example, half its DC resistance.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    Do you mean turns count for 'power' in terms of high resistance, or in terms of loudness of pickup?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    edited October 2013 tFB Trader
    Turns count as far as the eventual subjective loudness and 'output' of the pickup. Resistance means nothing without being referenced to the gauge of the wire used. Then of course the type of magnet used will also change the subjective loudness.
    Resistance has bugger all to do with 'power' or loudness, that is better referenced by millivolts output and inductance.
    Note: subjective loudness can also more to do with what frequencies a pickup is allowing through than sheer millivolts grunt.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I've got a 12.8k pickup in my prs and a 8.7k in my les paul (both bridge position) and they're very close in volume.  Though the coil split on the 12.8 is miles better than the paf style.
    tFB Trader

Adam_MD said:
    I've got a 12.8k pickup in my prs and a 8.7k in my les paul (both bridge position) and they're very close in volume.  Though the coil split on the 12.8 is miles better than the paf style.
    Yup ... you can't get 12.8k worth of 42awg wire on a standard humbucker bobbin ... so to get the number of turns we want for a design we go down to the next size: 43awg which is higher resistance ... but as you say ... not a whole pile louder in actual terms.