Marshall jmp/jcm800's. 50 vs 100 watts , do they really sound different ?

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I've always gone for the 50 watters as I always thought lower wattage was more practical, but pretty much everyone I know plays the 100 watters . Is there a difference sound wise ? Anyone have a preference ??!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    Yes I've always found that Marshall 100 watters sounded fuller than the 50 watters at the same volume level.
    I used to have a couple of DSL's and old jmp amps. I always maintained the 100w amps sounded better and at one point set up a blindfold test in my rehearsal space.

on the same settings... not ear bleeding loud and using the same cabs, i picked the 100w heads, I guess I just prefer the beefier tone.
    I will say that anyone buying a 50w amp thinking its quieter than a 100w amp is bonkers coz there's very little in it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72653
    edited April 2015
    They sounded quite a bit different until around 1979 when the internal voltages in the 50s were changed making them more like the 100s, then the 100s were changed again when they went to horizontal inputs in about 1986, whereas the 50s weren't. So they sound similar between 1979 and 1986, but different before 1979 and after 1986. In both cases of 'different', the 50s sound softer and warmer than the 100s.

That said I think the best-sounding of all of them is the JMP 2203 - it just has a complexity and 'ring' to it that the 50s don't quite, and it isn't to do with volume, you can hear it at quite low levels.

The one I like least is the horizontal-input 2203 though, they're too stiff and bright.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Thanks icbm , the other week me and my friend swapped and compared between my 2104 combo and his 2203 head and although both sound great , his 2203 definitely had something my 2104 hadn't ! I think I might go for a 2203, I was worried about not being able to get the best use out of it with it being 100 watts compared to a 50 watter .
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72653
    The actual volume difference is fairly minor - if you can't crank a 100 you won't be able to with a 50 either.

The good news is that they work very well with attenuation as well as having a tolerably good MV.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    The other guitarist in my band had a 100 watt jcm900. I'll be hitting mine with a ts9 as a clean boost .