The Cedar bodied Telecaster saga

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    Don’t know yet, and may not until Sunday. It’s currently in pieces while I shave 1mm off the neck pocket, and we’ve got visitors from tomorrow.

My recent builds have had the same forearm and belly chamfering, so this body shouldn’t feel very different. What I’m looking forward to is getting it on a strap, and finding out how it hangs. I’ve moved the strap button forward so that it doesn’t become neck heavy because of the lower body weight. At the same time I don’t want to lose the Tommy Gun feel of a Telecaster.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Found some time. She weights in at 6lb 12oz, which is a couple of ounces heavier than the previous build (above). Hardware is identical, except for superswitch vs Gibson style selector, so the difference is body thickness to allow for the switch.

She’s at least a pound light than my current gigging guitar, shown here on the left. 

Colour difference is a combination of age and Tru-Oil vs Osmo. Looking at it I’m not sure about the colour. I’m wondering whether I should sand off the finish and stain it blue.
    BigMonka said:
    That body shape looks very cool and interesting, how does it feel to play?
    Not much different. Obviously lighter in weight. The strap button is a little further forward, and because of the lighter body the balance is about the same. The controls are in a slightly better position, further back, and the switch is easier to grab because it doesn’t get as close to the Tone knob.

Sound wise there’s more attack from the Maple neck.

I’d love to gig it tomorrow. Unfortunately the pub we’re playing has faulty wiring, and a massive mains hum. So it’s humbuckers only.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Brilliant! I love the fact that they still have their rustic timber heritage, don't ever paint them.

Great thread. 
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Excellent result.  They look great together :)
    Fuengi said:
    Brilliant! I love the fact that they still have their rustic timber heritage, don't ever paint them.
    Absolutely no chance of that. I love to see the wood. The most I’d do is stain the wood so that the grain still shows through.
    Excellent result. 
    Thanks. The story’s not over yet. I’m only on the first of four cedar planks.

At the end of last week I thought that I’d made enough Telecasters, and ought to try something with humbuckers and three-a-side headstock. Then, playing a PRS last night, I struggled with tuning, and wondered whether that’s because the string angle on a three-a-side means that there’s more but friction than with straight through strings. I also realised that I miss that clean cutting sound of single coils.

Maybe it’s time for a three pickup Tele, or something with P90s. 
    Gigged it last night. Took it along as my spare, and didn’t put it down all night.

Verdict! A lot brighter than the previous guitar. The only differences between them are the neck, three piece maple with maple board vs one piece maple and rosewood board, bridge, and a thinner body. Make of that what you will. My money is on neck stiffness.

Gratuitous pic:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom