NPD - HOF mini and purple moon

What's Hot
littlethoughtslittlethoughts Frets: 639
A couple of impulse purchases - a HOF mini (promptly posted by @Pete24v from these parts) and a Carl Martin Purple Moon. Firstly the HOF mini. I already own a trinity but the price was right and they look fun. I've not changed the toneprint but the one loaded sounded very nice, a bit brighter than the clean sound. I like how the dial appears to change a few parameters at once.

As for the purple moon, I've been after a univibe type pedal for a while. The purple moon is an all-analog univibe with optional fuzz (but no option for fuzz without univibe unless you set the vibe depth to the minimum. So far I really like the univibe with no fuzz and some of the fuzz settings, but I don't love how the controls for fuzz level and vibe level interact. I'm not sure how it's wired but it's not quite series or parallel! That is, with the vibe level at 0 you still have vibe on the fuzz, and with fuzz at 0 it is pure clean vibe. At intermediate values it doesn't immediately feel like changing them makes much difference. It may be more obvious with different guitar settings. So far though, I find the HOF mini faultless, while the purple moon I think will take a bit of becoming familiar with.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice gear buddy.

Looking at the HOF mini myself and the Flash back mini too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I think the tone print input in was the closest I could get to my '72 Dual Showman Reverb.. Something fender like..
    I have the flashback mini, great little pedal
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I like the HOF mini but so far, all the presets are a bit too unnatural imo, the eqs are all too bright. I really want to get into deep editing with the toneprint software but I don't have the right usb cable...
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    How's it compare to the trinity?
  • Branshen said:
    How's it compare to the trinity?
    Sounds very similar as you would expect! I must admit though I rarely touch most of the controls, the only thing I really change is the reverb level and the reverb model. Sometimes I play around with them but the mix and tone usually end up in middling positions...
    Branshen said:
    I like the HOF mini but so far, all the presets are a bit too unnatural imo, the eqs are all too bright. I really want to get into deep editing with the toneprint software but I don't have the right usb cable...
    In which case you might prefer the HOF or trinity - since it sounds like you simply want to be able to simply turn down the tone a little. I must admit I've only really played it using the the neck pickup on my PRS SE Tremonti (bridge is playing up!) so the reverb being too bright was a welcome addition on quite a dark sounding guitar and pickup. I'll dig out the telecaster and see if it's too bright with that.

@Pete24v was it a custom tone print or one of the official ones? It sounds nice - I don't really want to swap away from it if I can't get it back ;)
    It was one from the app, I can't remember exactly which one though !