Octave pedals - what sort of tracking delay?

What's Hot
markvmarkv Frets: 460
I got a ZCat Poly-Octaver in a trade with @Alnico a few weeks ago and I'm having great fun doing very bad Cocteau Twins impressions.

Now, there is - unsurprisingly - a small delay between playing a note and the octave up or down being played.

I've never played with an octave pedal before. The ZCat web site says the delay between the dry signal and octaves is ~ 30 ms. Is this about the same as other pedals? I can't find much info.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33837
    Some pedals are better or worse than others.
    I've come to embrace the delay- it makes riffs sound bigger.

Think of it like AC/DC (the band).
    The reason they sound huge is they are all a little bit out of time with each other, which gives the downbeat huge, huge weight.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24609
    Not a clue about the times, but the MicroPog seems very fast.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    octatonic said:
    Some pedals are better or worse than others.
    I've come to embrace the delay- it makes riffs sound bigger.

The reason they sound huge is they are all a little bit out of time with each other, which gives the downbeat huge, huge weight.
    That makes sense. Although I think it must be more to it than that with AC/DC. If playing out of time was all there was to sounding huge, I'd have it nailed.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27218
    Not a clue about the times, but the MicroPog seems very fast.
    same for the Whammy V
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5164
    30ms is a significant delay. I don't think I've used an octaver or pitch shifter with anything like that sort of latency. Most are a few milliseconds at most. On the other hand, the shimmer reverb setting on my reverb pedal has a sort of fade-in effect on the upper octaves that's there on purpose.
    octatonic said:

I can believe this if the out-of-time-ness was within a few milliseconds- the equivalent of the thickening you get from using chorus or double tracking in the studio (if done well...), only more complex in that it's done by people, not electronics. If they were 30ms out from each other it would sound like a sack of shit. It's all about being just out of time enough, but not too much, which might explain @markv's problem :D

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I've had a Micro Pog for years, and recently for a Whammy V, no noticeable delay on either, certainly nothing like 30ms.
    So if it's possible to achieve (much) less delay then presumably it's done on purpose with the ZCat pedal?

Don't get me wrong, it's a good pedal and the overall effect is not at all a "sack of shit" as @english_bob surmises :-) ... it's quite effective and clearly aimed at more atmospheric effects, what with the built-in chorus and reverb.

I wasn't complaining actually, just curious. I will clearly have to try some other octavers. Gosh darn it, does that mean I have to get more pedals?
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5164
    markv said:
    Don't get me wrong, it's a good pedal and the overall effect is not at all a "sack of shit" as @english_bob surmises :-) ... it's quite effective and clearly aimed at more atmospheric effects, what with the built-in chorus and reverb.

Ah now, be fair. That's not what I said at all. I said if AC/DC were that loose when playing in unison they'd sound like a sack of shit. Clearly the people at Z-Cat didn't have people who wanted to cover "Whole Lotta Rosie" in mind when they designed the Poly-Octaver.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Clearly the people at Z-Cat didn't have people who wanted to cover "Whole Lotta Rosie" in mind when they designed the Poly-Octaver.
    LOL - nice understatement :-)

Now I'm going to try that when I get home ...
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Yeah 30ms is a huge amount of time. 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7200
    Drew_fx said:

that's what I keep telling my wife
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Drew_fx said:
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Ah you macro level fuckfaces!
    Drew_fx said:
    Ah you macro level fuckfaces!
    Awesome name for a pedal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom