Oops...just ordered something that might be silly

2»

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26644
    Bummer doesnt work at all on win7? That's me out then.
    Sorry, bad phrasing on my part - I meant nothing works without the drivers (ie it's not properly class-compliant). I've corrected that bit.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7294
    ahh not so bad, i care less about that.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    If be interested to know how it copes on bus power with 2 condensers and 2 dynamics. Any chance you can give it a try. My use case would be from a laptop so suspect the external power supply might be a necessity.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Sure. I think I've got those kicking around - Superlux E906 clone, T-Bone SM57 clone, SE2000a and AKG C1000S. Can't guarantee it'll sound any good, and I'm going to have to go hunting for them, but I'm game for giving it a go :)
    <space for hire>
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    edited April 2015

Driver cockups? Behringer BCA2000 DEJA VU!

In 2005/6 it was drivers that gave everyone the screaming hab-dabs add to the fact that I was a COMPLETE PC numpty back then (only slightly less so now! Mention of "adding lines to a config file" make my bloody run cold and my brain seize up!) .

I recall now that even with the 1/2 decent drivers that came nearly a year later the BCA would never start up until I went to Device Manager and ran "Check for hardware changes" against the AI. (XP Pro)

I shall still buy one I think but as has been said, from a reputable house and I shall be taking FULL advantage of the Distance Trading Regulations if I get any kind of forking about with the box!

Meant to add...Re bus powered phantom power. I would be obliged to know the voltage developed across two 6k8 resistors soldered to pins 2 and 3, to pin 1 on an XLR plug, Should of course be 24 volts.

Dave.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6140
    ecc83 said:

In 2005/6 it was drivers that gave everyone the screaming hab-dabs add to the fact that I was a COMPLETE PC numpty back then (only slightly less so now! Mention of "adding lines to a config file" make my bloody run cold and my brain seize up!) .

I recall now that even with the 1/2 decent drivers that came nearly a year later the BCA would never start up until I went to Device Manager and ran "Check for hardware changes" against the AI. (XP Pro)

I shall still buy one I think but as has been said, from a reputable house and I shall be taking FULL advantage of the Distance Trading Regulations if I get any kind of forking about with the box!

Meant to add...Re bus powered phantom power. I would be obliged to know the voltage developed across two 6k8 resistors soldered to pins 2 and 3, to pin 1 on an XLR plug, Should of course be 24 volts.

Dave.

Does that mean you are getting one then?  :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    equalsql said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.

Does that mean you are getting one then?  :)

Not anytime soon Ee! My son is in France and uses my old Fast Track Pro to record himself, a violinist and othera. Naturally he would like something later and more flexible but there is one stumbling block as far as I am concerned. He is a MUSICIAN! He loses things! G'd alone knows how many phones he has had!

So, I am loathe to part with my KA6 nor my 8i6 (and they would not give him any more mic inputs anyway) but IF the Berry got a decent, not Novalike but decent, review in something like Sound on Sound I would be prepared to kiss goodbye to about a ton!.........BUT! If anyone has one going cheapish I could well be interested?

Dave.

ecc83 said:

BUT! If anyone has one going cheapish I could well be interested?

Dave.

They're pretty new, I think, so you won't find any second-hand. £96 is the best I found, from Thomann.
    <space for hire>

DS, did you get a user manual with the AI?

I have searched the Bellringer site and can only find a bare description .pdf.

Dave.

No, there's no useful manual. There's a kind-of "Getting Started" guide, but that's it. If you're already familiar with audio interfaces, though, it'll be pretty self-explanatory; it's a "bare interface" kind of thing rather than one with all sorts of routing/effects bells and whistles.
    <space for hire>
  • I've been following this topic, since it's the only discussion of the UMC404 I've found online.
    I am thinking about buying the HD version (the non-HD version is out of stock in some stores, I have the feeling it is going to be discontinued) of the UMC404.
    Have you had the chance to figure out what was that low hum noise you mentioned? Maybe powering the unit with the external transformer fixes it.
    I'll probably end up buying one, and returning it if I don't like it, I guess.

Careful if you use a 3rd party power supply. The polarity is the silly negative centre pin idea (yeah, I know it's a bit of a standard for pedals but that is "historical" GAKs why) and don't get it wrong because the rating is just 5 volts which tells me that there is no polarity protection since most AI supplies are 9volts or 12.  

Dave.

Just as a quick update - sorry I haven't got the demos up, but I've only just managed to re-organise and re-cable the office. The good news is that yes - it can record two condensers with phantom power and two unpowered inputs while on USB power, without an external power supply.

Also...Torpedo Wall of Sound is a new one to me, but it sounds great with the preamp of my Soldano and my pedalboard. Got a whacking great smile on my face right now :)
    <space for hire>
    sweet...might be an investment if i can offload my 2 channel tascam
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    I've noticed a bit of an oddity with it. On firing up Reaper, it doesn't record any sound. However, on nipping into its control panel, the inputs are always muted by default; unmuting them always does the trick.

I suspect this is why I can't record in Linux - the unit always initialises to muted inputs. Hmmm.
    <space for hire>