What do you use to record You Tube Clips?

Any suggestions to get a half decent clip up on You Tube? Most camera's nowadays seem capable of a reasonable picture but the sound quality is often dreadful - are you using a separate audio recording which you then edit together with the video?

Any tips or pointers/ links appreciated as I've never tried this at all. Hopefully it's not too much of a faff...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

So, assuming you have a good recording do you mime to that on camera?

My son used a trial version of Camtasia for a time and when that has run out there are at least two grades of Sony Vegas you can run for a month each! Needless to say, all this software is quite expensive. Anyone know of freebies please tell.

I understand Reaper has some video capability?

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I use a MacBook Pro. Camera ok but not brilliant. I record at the same time into GarageBand and then join together in iMovie. All free Mac software that comes with it. No use to you if you don't have a Mac!
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    edited April 2015
    Usually just use IPhone 5 - if I'm playing to a backing track I either just blast it through the monitors & play along, or if I'm feeling fussy I'll record the audio separately and sync the video up later with Windows Moviemaker or get my daughter to do it on her Mac (better!)

The audio sync always seems to mess up I've noticed, after uploading the clip to FB or YT - annoying! Anyone know what might cause the loss of sync?
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Good topic. I need help as my vids are crap
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

A few months ago I bought a wee box called a "Portta HDMI converter. (www.port-ta.com)

This takes any HDMI source such as the one on this HP i3 laptop, and converts it into a colour TV video signal and L/R audio. The picture quality given a good source, is very good on my Sony Bravia 32". I feed the box into a Freeview HDD/DVD recorder and use it for recording webairs and BBC iPlayer stuff that I want to keep.

The box is powered from USB and the port on the laptop works fine.

About £15 iirc.

Dave.

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    axisus said:
    I use a MacBook Pro. Camera ok but not brilliant. I record at the same time into GarageBand and then join together in iMovie. All free Mac software that comes with it. No use to you if you don't have a Mac!
    Does the camera and Garage Band sync naturally or do you have to do this later?
  • mayzesguitarmayzesguitar Frets: 0
    edited June 2015
    You definitely need to use an external mic to create a high quality video. You can either use an interface and a mic to record audio at the same time and then sync them up later using a DAW (don't forget to clap for the sync!) or you could use a camera with a connection for an external mic and get (or borrow) a small shotgun mic made for DSLR's, such as this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/RØDE-VideoMic-GO-Camera-Microphone/dp/B00GQDORA4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433498310&sr=1-2&keywords=dslr+mic

First option is only a bit more effort but a whole lot cheaper (unless you can borrow a camera mic). You could use any old interface and mic and it would sound better than an internal camera mic.

Having said this, some smart phones have reasonable mics in them, good enough for speech anyway. Maybe not if you plan to play guitar or do anything more than talk.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26734
    If you want to improve the audio quality when using a phone camera, you can always get the iRig Mic Pre. It works on Android and iWhatever, and lets you use any mic with an XLR connection.
    <space for hire>
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Just found a useful video on this, so I thought I would update the thread for anyone interested.

Duration 11:28

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    @ChrisMusic That is a really good video - thanks for posting it. Most surprising to me was the difference that the lighting setup made with respect to it looking like a proper video rather than some random dude in his living room.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Currently I use a old Panasonic hd camcorder (ebay) and record the audio into a Tascam DR 100, then sync them in iMovie.