Gilmourizing the Squier

What's Hot
Last week, as documented in my GAS thread, I bought this Squier for £69 on eBay:

Couldn't stand that pickguard so this was the interim arrangement:

which is fine, but I fancied follwing @lloyd 's advice and trying a black guard.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1760
    edited April 2015
    So I ordered a guard from Dangleberry, and some pots and caps from Axesrus, all of which arrived yesterday:

And, in Gilmour style, I had an inch off the arm!

I wanted a recessed mini-toggle to switch the neck pickup in like Gilmour has, so I set about some crude micro-carpentry to create a little box for the switch:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What's this? Modding by numbers? I like it.
    Wired it all up:

I didn't make the neatest job of the hole in the plate for the recessed toggle, but it's very small and it's all black, so it's not very visible at all.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2015
    So there you have it, a Gilmour strat for about 1/35th of the price of the Fender version.

That's right, you could have 35 of these for the price of the custom shop one!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What's this? Modding by numbers? I like it.
    Sorry, I've finished now. Carry on!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28628
    Looks good, but you need to junk the ceramic pickups, dude!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Looks nice, good job.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

edited April 2015
    stickyfiddle;606939" said:
    Yep ceramic pickups and plywood - what a piece of sh*t, eh? :)

Actually, it sounds really good, so I'm not rushing into any upgrades. It's made my reassess some of my snobbery and prejudices.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5213
    Where did you find the recess switch? I was looking for something like is, but could only find a much clunkier switch.

But it has made neck+bridge my favourite pickup combination on the Strat! That made up for the unpleasant surprise that having all three pickups on just sounded meh.
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    DannyP said:

Yep ceramic pickups and plywood - what a piece of sh*t, eh? :)

Actually, it sounds really good, so I'm not rushing into any upgrades. It's made my reassess some of my snobbery and prejudices.

I gigged with a stock Korean Squier Strat for a few years when I started out - sounded great.  I thought it was just rose-tinted (and probably beer-tinted) memories until I played another one recently, and found it to also sound really good - no idea why, as they really shouldn't when you consider the construction, but for some reason they just do.  I've certainly played US Fenders which sounded a lot worse.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    edited April 2015
    mart said:
    Where did you find the recess switch? I was looking for something like is, but could only find a much clunkier switch.

But it has made neck+bridge my favourite pickup combination on the Strat! That made up for the unpleasant surprise that having all three pickups on just sounded meh.
    @mart - it's a bog standard 2 throw mini toggle, but I built a little box around it so that it was recessed back from the pickguard. the 'box' is glued to a wooden plate through which 2 of the pots are mounted to keep it in place. 

You can buy this switch and bracket from the States, http://www.stratcat.biz/4031p.shtml  but I am WAY too tight for that!

@fuzzdog - Yeah, I think you mentioned that you liked these Samicks, I'm certainly enjoying it so far. I might do a little video if I get time tomorrow.

• martmart Frets: 5213
    DannyP said:
    @mart - it's a bog standard 2 throw mini toggle, but I built a little box around it so that it was recessed back from the pickguard. the 'box' is glued to a wooden plate through which 2 of the pots are mounted to keep it in place. 
    Wow! So simple, and yet it looks so good! 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11741
    tFB Trader
    That looks brilliant ... Love those Squier necks.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

That looks brilliant ... Love those Squier necks.

Well I finally gave in and decided to upgrade those ceramics @stickyfiddle !

Just bought some pickups from @MatthewShreddery in the classifieds.

@TheGuitarWeasel - they are a set called Oil City Stone Tones or something? I'll see how I get on with them ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • At least you'll be able to enjoy playing it, rather than sit around all day polishing it!