Customer Training or knowledge of Guitars? - Shop Staff

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Same as in any shop: politeness, promptness and a smile.

I can forgive lack of knowledge.

I can't forgive surliness, superiority or a generally bad attitude.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Thanks for the replies guys.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    GavHaus said:

nothing worse than ponytailed Johnny Alltheriffs who wants nothing more than to try the guitar out for you. I get that the music career didnt work out for you mate, but you dont have to be such an insufferable tit.

(I was bitten by a guitar shop assistant as a child).

How did that work out for you?

Shouldn't you have got superpowers or something as a result of the bite?

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7807
    edited April 2015
    I am not sure about you guys but for me, wheb I ask to demo a guitar, I already know what it's about, the question is whether it lives up to expectation. That's why I'm in the store in the first place.
    Maybe, but lots of people don't: I am thinking of parents buying for kids or someone looking to spend on their first "proper" guitar and are wanting options that are interesting and relevant. If you work in a shop, you should at the very least know your product.. so many stores fail here though (not just guitar, remember Dixons *shudder*) but Customer service is more than that - it's about treating your customers well before, during and after the purchase.. too many stores fail here too,

• RaymondLin;613420" said:
    Customer service first and honesty. If he doesn't know something then just say he doesn't know the answer rather than make it up.
    I pretty much want to leave any shop where the assistant describes a boss or digitech overdrive/distortion as being digital. Horribly common.

So I'm with you.

When I bought my first guitar it was from GAK, I knew what I wanted (Squire Bullet about 14 year ago, and no I haven't improved much!) but the service I got was impeccable.

A couple of years later my sister in law wanted a guitar so we went there again (Yamaha Pacifica) and again the service was great. No pressure, all good advice and a great deal on the bundle of extra bits you need to get going.

I have since bought a Mex Strat from the, again I knew exactly what I wanted but they left me to it, but were never far away if I needed to ask anything.

Now I'm not being biased, as I have had excellent service from Andertons as well, who again just handed me the guitar(s) (Highway 1 and a Jagmaster, two different trips) left me in the sound booth but again were never far away.

GAK also have been excellent on pedal advice.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Bit of both really.

The customer service thing is actually quite difficult because everyone is different. Good service for one person is often "I was pounced on the instant I walked in and I didn't feel I could browse in peace" for another :))
  • GavHaus;613427" said:
    nothing worse than ponytailed Johnny Alltheriffs.
    Haha Johnny Alltheriffs made me laugh

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I had some bad customer service yesterday at Peach Colchester.
    It's a great shop with good stocks of guitars and amps, I've been to their Braintree set up a few times and that was much better but the service and product knowledge in the Colchester store was terrible. I was there to buy and came away with nothing.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I like staff who agree to heavy discounts when proposed....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>