Fender vaporizer mods ??

What's Hot
harpoharpo Frets: 177
so the consensus here seems to be that they don't sound that great.......has anybody modded one yet ? I'm about to get one in a trade
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2198
    Decent cables for the reverb and a speaker swap and you'll be good to go. Bargain little amp. Sooooooo loud for 12 watts through big speakers. Take a 12" speaker cab with you and plug that in instead of the frankly worthless 10's that are in it.

Takes pedals well. Doesn't take much to get it gig ready.

• I was just about to post in this section RE the vaporizer as I was looking at one for the home but I am worried about it being too loud..

are they not too good in their stock form then?
    Perfectly useable at home, I didn't like the drive sounds, very fizzy and brittle. Different speakers mellowed it out but meant it would go very loud.

I found it was good as stock at low volume, clean with a drive pedal.

On my 2nd one. 1st went bang a lot. This one seems fine.

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    LOVE the sound of mine, but the volume knob does go a bit nought to sixty in half a mm. Turning the guitar volume down works-ish but changes the sound :(
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• dchwhite;613669" said:
    LOVE the sound of mine, but the volume knob does go a bit nought to sixty in half a mm. Turning the guitar volume down works-ish but changes the sound :(
    Use a boost pedal, like the TC spark, but use it to cut the volume. Preserve the high end, buffer your signal and add a bit of extra sparkle if you want. Win!
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    dchwhite;613669" said:
    Use a boost pedal, like the TC spark, but use it to cut the volume. Preserve the high end, buffer your signal and add a bit of extra sparkle if you want. Win!

Ta! Don't think I own owt that might class as a boost, but I wonder if I can use the theory... I was about to put up my California Sound fs, but you might have earned it a reprieve - I'll give it a go... :)
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• luckily local shop I got new guitar from today had one, absolutely loved it, I found it was the clean tone I am after at low volumes to the loudest I will ever want it and then beyond that.

unfortunately they could not come close to the best prices, I don't mind and will happily pay extra for a local but the difference was too much so have ordered online. I feel a little bad about it but it was the difference of affording one or not. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Good news. I have to ask what colour?

Surf green FTW!

• andy1839 said:
    Good news. I have to ask what colour?

Surf green FTW!

Slate Blue
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I have one for playing in the house. I read a lot of reviews before taking the plunge as I'd heard lots of negative stuff about them. Have to say that I may have got lucky in that it isn't too hissy, but I love the sounds that come out of it and it works great with pedals, The switchable 'Vaporize' sound is way too loud to be of any use at home though. 
    I've read a thread somewhere in the ether from a guy who gigs a stock one in his surf band, so they must be OK!
    Oh, and definitely the Surf Green! Matches my Jag!
  • and my week of guitar GAS is over with the early delivery of amp :)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    dogload said:
    Its not a Jag :-P
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    dogload said:
    Its not a Jag :-P
    Pah! A pox on ye, corksniffer!  :P
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I've got a Jag! Sounds like Top Gear (RIP)
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    What is the Indie Shape SSS like to play? I'm an Indie fan but haven't played the SSS model.
  • Chalky said:
    What is the Indie Shape SSS like to play? I'm an Indie fan but haven't played the SSS model.
    I am really enjoying it, it is my first Indie and I cannot see it being my last, it is nicely weighted neck is really nice build quality superb, the pickups(Indie I-M8) seem very good to me I pulling a beautiful tone with it from the amp.. all in all I am a happy bunny.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9926
    Bit of a necrobump on this one, but I've been offered one in a trade and whilst I think I'll probably say no as the value is lower than I intended trading for and it's too big to fit in my spare room space, I thought maybe if there were some cool mods (or dare I say even transplants?) that were possible it could be an  interesting project?

Was wondering for example whether maybe the amp section could be taken out and rehoused into a smaller box which I could use as a head (I made a head cab for a bigger amp  before) and then a different amp with master volume be transplanted into the funky shaped cab? Or just keep it as a 2x10 cab for the newly accomodated head?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic