I'm speechless....

What's Hot

Comments

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3753
    It's like an adolescent version of Anvil. I still thinking it's brilliant. There are some great interviews with him from the last few years.
    p90fool said:
    I'm glad that nothing I did or said when I was 17 was recorded and broadcast to the world.

Mind you, the only thing I was constantly begging for at that age was king-size Rizlas.

The man. The legend. Essential viewing:
    Hands down one of the greatest hours of television ever broadcast

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Hold on a minute. Just spotted in the ad that she's from Huddersfield..... surname of Collingridge by any chance?
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    edited May 2015
    I love all the 'in my day' stories on here. Well done, guys.

When I were 17 I worked in't coal mine for 25 hours a day just to be able to afford a guitar pick. Weren't no crowdfunding in my day, chuck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited May 2015 tFB Trader
    I spent 2 years doing any shitty job I could find out here in the country - potato lifting, Christmas tree planting were two of the worst - to buy my first good guitar, a Fender American Standard Strat. I bloody cherished that guitar....until some cunt nicked it.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I need a new guitar, and i'm 16! PM me if your feeling generous!
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Loobs;619441" said:

In my day I worked in't coal mine for 25 hours a day just to be able to afford a guitar pick. Weren't no crowdfunding in my day, chuck.
    Back in my days there were no cheeky cunts in the net scaving money instead of getting a job :)
    In your day there was no internet mate
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    Drew_fx said:
    You were lucky !
    I had to wash down the music shop doorways in Charring Cross Road (where I lived in a shoe box) with my tounge for five years, before one of the music shops would even let me in the back door at night, to try out a damaged second hand Kay Les Paul with only 4 strings, with C, F and G chords for 2 minutes, unplugged !
    Kids today don't know they are born !

Fred
    timmysoft said:
    I saved Christmas and birthday money then I worked a shit shoe shop job while at school just to be able to afford a Kay les Paul copy and an old home made amp.

timmysoft said:
    I saved Christmas and birthday money then I worked a shit shoe shop job while at school just to be able to afford a Kay les Paul copy and an old home made amp.

That's nothing... I had to suck twelve cocks to afford a pack o' strings!
    And did you choose to play bass around this time?
    olafgarten;619448" said:
    I need a new guitar, and i'm 16! PM me if your feeling generous!
    Do you swallow?

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Loobs said:

When I were 17 I worked in't coal mine for 25 hours a day just to be able to afford a guitar pick. Weren't no crowdfunding in my day, chuck.
    It is genuinely an 'in my day' thing though, there are some new things under the sun. Even ten years ago, if you wanted to do this while you were in school (beg strangers for money for your guitar) you'd have had to go door to door or wander about in the street asking people. Easier to get a part time job. Now, you just put up a kickstarter (or gofundme in this case), no need to look people in the eye while you do it or do something (even token) in exchange. Some good things have been done through kickstart type approaches, this wouldn't have been one of them. I don't agree with everything Amanda Palmer does, but worth contrasting this approach with her 'Art of Asking', it's missing the crucial bit of actually doing something.
    I agree. We're only taking the piss.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Would those being lenient to her have been so lenient if it was a young lad begging for money?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    She just needs to learn how to get the tones she wants out of a guitar thats less than ideal.. If she's into the heavies then the dude from Gojira plays a tele. if she's into emo/scene post hardcore stuff then Sleeping with Sirens use tele's too.
    for £100 she could get 80% there I reckon.

Heavy strings, heavy picks, and a mean metal distortion pedal.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    My first thought, if I really needed a decent guitar. I'd go for a Pacifica. I had one in college and it served it's purpose.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Cough... Devi.. Cough... Ever.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh wow, there's a name I've not heard in forever.
    Hertz32;620079" said:
    She just needs to learn how to get the tones she wants out of a guitar thats less than ideal.. If she's into the heavies then the dude from Gojira plays a tele. if she's into emo/scene post hardcore stuff then Sleeping with Sirens use tele's too.

for £100 she could get 80% there I reckon.

Heavy strings, heavy picks, and a mean metal distortion pedal.
    Tell her to get over here for pro toanal advice
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16701
    Chalky said:
    Would those being lenient to her have been so lenient if it was a young lad begging for money?
    Why would that change anything?

It might if it was crowd funding a boob job :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Let's not forget she's 17 before we get all Viz on her.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    axisus;619223" said:
    CHRISB50 said:

I went to birthday party recently of a friend of a friend. On the bar was a jar saying 'Donations for Vicki's operation.' I didn't know Vicki well, so asked what was wrong with her and if was it serious.

I was told she was asking for money for a tit job as she couldn't currently afford one.

So how much did you put in?
    Nowt. But she did get enough to buy her new lils. Human kindness eh.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to