Burman

What's Hot
VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
edited May 2015 in Amps
Oh man - I used to have one of these amazing amps in the 80's and one just showed up in a pic of an advert for a guy selling a (different) bass amp. Mailed him and asked him if it is a guitar or bass one....and if he's selling...
Ever found an old amp you used to have? Anyone ever had a Burman?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Not owned one, but worked on a few of them. The transformers are made from depleted uranium and the cabinets are concrete :).

Obviously not actually true but I think the Pro 2000 100W 2x12" combo is the heaviest guitar amp I know of.

The clean sound is absolutely massive too, but the overdrive is somewhat dated by modern standards - they were hailed as the 'British Boogie', and that's true to a degree - the same sort of very compressed, touchy cascaded-gain sound. On the other hand if that's what you want there's probably very little else like them.

Greg Burman did try reissuing them a few years ago, but unfortunately he hadn't moved even slightly with the times other than on the price, and I can't imaging he sold many. (Or any.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BGGBGG Frets: 689
    They weigh a bloody ton haha.

I know Greg Burman's son ;)

#thebatesmotelband
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    They do weigh quite a lot lol. I remember the clean being astonishing.

• bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    My mate and singist in the band used to have one, not sure of the model but it was a 2x12 combo 40 or 50 watts and always too damn loud. And heavy, very heavy.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    My dad said he used to check in the back of amps as ppl put weights and sometimes bricks in to make them heavier as weight=quality :p
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4138
    I had a Burmann stack for a while, weighed as much as the van!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    Just to show my age - I remember reading a glowing review of a Burman combo in Beat Instrumental in the late seventies.

I don't think I've ever actually seen one - and certainly I've never played through one. I seem to remember someone fairly famous was an endorsee - can't remember who though....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited May 2015
    Geordie Walker of Killing Joike is a big fan of Burmans...

Some guff:

http://tonereport.com/blogs/tone-tips/victorious-vintage-british-amps/page/two

and at timepoint 2.08

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

It was very possibly user error though, I really had no idea how to use anything but Superleads or Twin Reverbs at the time - it was early days for that kind of amp for most of us .
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    When I were a lad (early 70s) a  school mate had a used Burman transistor combo in 2x12 format.

I think it was about 60w. Build very well and sounded quite good, surprisingly not heavy by comparison to the later stuff.

Always liked the Burman stuff ever since.

• BorkBork Frets: 256
    Zombie thread resurrection:

I have three Burman amps and one of the preamps. I've been fortunate enough to have the occasional email exchange with "Gregg" too (not his real name) when his health permits.

[This space for rent]

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4925
    I had a Pro 4000HD in the 70s.
    We didn't have gyms to go to back then, so it was dual purpose - both a great amp and my weights routine, along with two Marshall 4x12s.
    As I recall, it hummed a lot though (mind you, I did too after carrying that lot!).
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    I had a Pro 2000 for a couple of years in the early '80s. It replaced a Music Man HD130. As others have said, excellent clean sounds with tons of headroom but I didn't personally find the o/d sounds very useable for gigging. It weighed about as much as the moon and I always needed help to lift it in and out of the car boot without risking a hernia. It was mainly the weight that caused me to sell it and buy a Peavey MX which seemed comparatively light but was still in Boogie 1x12 territory weight-wise. The 50 watt 1x12 Burman would be a more viable amp.
  • BorkBork Frets: 256
    edited May 2017
    I have a couple of Pro4000's (which don't hum ) and a Pro501 which is ex Lindisfarne.  They're great amps for bass although originally I was searching for a Bassman 135.  I have to confess I find the gain in the Pro501 and GX3 a little disappointing beyond any kind of rock crunch.  I had a chat with Martin at MJW about it and he said the feedback circuit in the preamps are designed in a way that would be tricky to modify without completely redesigning the circuit.  The GX3 is a very nice bass preamp too!

[This space for rent]

• veldt666veldt666 Frets: 83

I used a pair of Pro200 2 X 12 Combo's, from 1978 - 1984. (Sold them & used 2 X Rivera Concerts + EV's).

Burman amps had an Amazing sound, loud & dynamic, but, yes, the weight was incredible.

I still have a 100W Burman bas head in my rehearsal room, (Sounds great with guitar, tho).

• davebarlowguitardavebarlowguitar Frets: 0
    edited August 2018
    Just got one in for a service, its a pro 501 weighs quite alot, got two massive Partridge transformers and a Goodmans speaker. might do a video review on it as not much on Youtube for reference. 
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1runbPcXGDahlYFVpAtxdjw585Sf6Q1IF/view?usp=sharing
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2953
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I remember them blowing up a lot, catching fire and being endorsed by Status Quo and yes I temember the 1x12 combo being reviewed in Beat magazine too :)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    sweepy said:
    blowing up a lot, catching fire and being endorsed by Status Quo
    Not necessarily in that order. 

sweepy said:
    I temember the 1x12 combo being reviewed in Beat magazine :)
    I tecall both the 1x12" combo and the GX3 pre-amp being reviewed in Music UK magazine.

p90fool said:
    The gain made it sound like you were playing next door but one
    always too damn loud. And heavy, very heavy.
    ICBM said:
    hadn't moved even slightly with the times other than on the price

To conclude, by today's standards, obsolete, sounds a bit nasty and is scarce. How many of them do you reckon that @HarrySeven possesses? ;)

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom