SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB 24" Scale Neck/Guitar

What's Hot
DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
So my first born is, at age 7 taking her first tentative steps at learning to play the guitar.

She's lefty and whilst I have tried to teach her right handed to allow her greater choice when she becomes a GAS obsessed freak like dear old dad it just isn't working, whenever you hand her a guitar she flips it over.

Now I've scored a lefty Pacifica but that's a full scale guitar, and much as she is tall for her age (age 9-10 clothes currently) I'm thinking a shorter 24" scale guitar would be more forgiving.

So my thinking is either score a cheapish Squier Duosonic/Cyclone type thing either just the neck or a whole guitar, have Jon Manuel make a lefty body & plate, have my tame spray painter blow it over in something appropriately garish, off we go.

Actually truth be told I can't think of/ can't justify anything making or buying anything else for me so I'm now GASsing vicariously through my daughter.

So whatcha got ? 

I know that over at the old place @Coldnorthwind had a cyclone up for sale but I'm not sure if he still has it, or made the jump over here to the FB or indeed whether he'd have anything to do with me after all my mucking about so 

Anyone ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Continuing the duplicity thang....... OJ is a lefty (although annoyingly he seems to be able to play both ways - git)

I'm considering my next move for him - he's currently sporting a lefty strung RH "Acoustic solutions" half size  through a Fender Squier 15w amp. Smokin!

At 6 years old he's also in 9-10 clothes!
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Well having looked you. In the eye mate our eyes are a similar & long distance off the floor so I suppose it's no surprise our offspring are tall.

Is your missus tall ? Mine's 5'10" that probably adds in to the equation.

Our niece wanted an Electric guitar for Christmas who she was 8, so I was tasked with finding the right first guitar. I did put a lot of thought into it and ended up with the Epi SG Jr, shorter scale, skinny, lightweight body, simple control layout. She loves it.

Thing is the idiot in me wants to make sure that Jess's first guitar is cooler & more bespoke than her cousins.

I'm such a T*t :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mate, just get her a 3/4 start and flip it - instant Hendrix! :D
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11976

As I chipped in at the local store when a kid was buying with his parents: why not use a capo?

Bear in mind it won't be for long, my 9 year old girl is 5 foot, and my 11 year old left daughter is 5'6"

I am trying to get them into playing drums first

Failing that, I got one of these: http://www.thomann.de/gb/steinberger_guitars_synapse_transcale_st2fpa_am.htm

They are symmetrical, so should be convertible to lefty, and the scale length can be changed instantly 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Do the Jaguar VM Squiers come in left hand variants?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28344
    I think that I'd encourage my kids to soldier on with a regular guitar, it's what most people do.
    Much as I appreciate the advice & tips contained in the answers above,particularly the blindingly obvious capo one from @Tonecontrol that I'd singularly failed to consider (have some Wisdom !) I think we're missing a very fundamental point here people. 

I'm keen to do another Partscaster but simply don't need anything else for myself and this presents me with a premise (albeit wafer thin) to do one !

Also in response to @Axisus I hear what you're saying I have tried to teach her right handed just because it would be easier for her later on but she just gets distressed and put off and I think that on some level it sends her a message that there's something fundamentally wrong about being left handed which I'm trying to avoid
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16791
    i can get you an allparts jaguar neck pretty reasonably if you want.  it would be right handed  so reverse headstock.

and I have templates from this

24" is a good compromise because its perfectly playable as a normal guitar and not something to grow out of
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

WezV said:
    i can get you an allparts jaguar neck pretty reasonably if you want.  it would be right handed  so reverse headstock.

and I have templates from this

24" is a good compromise because its perfectly playable as a normal guitar and not something to grow out of
    Do you know, I do remember that guitar and I did think of you when this idea started forming in my rusty cage of a head but I thought you'd be bored of my ill conceived, half baked, half finished ideas after the last two ;-)

Shall we email old love ?