Total fail - ampeg and digital village (dv247)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72403
    The SVT Classic definitely is for sale, although I'm pretty sure it's not the Heritage version it may be old enough to be a late original US-made one... I'll ask. Not sure if he wants to sell it without the cab though.

I actually like the 450. It's essentially a B2R rack amp dressed up in an SVT-like box, with a space underneath big enough to carry your leads etc! It doesn't quite look the part because it has a graphic EQ, but it sounds OK. I borrowed it and the 6x10" once, it did the job and looked enough like an Ampeg tower block from a distance.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    crunchman said:
    Will not use DV anymore after the way they treated staff and suppliers in their administration. 

I never used to buy online from them anyway but the Acton shop was only 5 mins walk from work.
    The Clapham branch were also decent guys. Got my Mustang I there, which is not an expensive amp, but they were happy to get one to the shop to try and then leave me to noodle with it and other amps for ages. Picked up some other things there too, but they were really more aimed for dj and pro-audio stuff. Quite bad what happened.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    martinw said:
    I get more Ampeg SVT CL bass amps through than all other bass amps put together.
    That's truly shocking. I knew they weren't as good as the old ones, but I never expected them to be as bad as that.

For me it's Ashdowns.

Strangely, I don't get many problems with those; no more than any other brand. Most of the problems I've seen with those have been due to mistreatment - blown speakers in cabs, using the DI output with no load connected, that kind of thing.
  • MosfedMosfed Frets: 25
    ICBM said:
    martinw said:
    I get more Ampeg SVT CL bass amps through than all other bass amps put together.
    That's truly shocking. I knew they weren't as good as the old ones, but I never expected them to be as bad as that.

For me it's Ashdowns.

If Mosfed is interested a friend of mine has a SVT Classic and a SVT450 (yes, the solid-state one that sounds quite good and never breaks ;) ) for sale, each with a 6x10"...

Hey dude Pm sent. I would definitely be interested.
    So in the end - with the help of someone here (thank you ICBM!) I bought a 2001 Ampeg SVT-CL US made head. 

Should be here by Wednesday at the latest.

So once the whole saga is done with, I will have ended up with a better head than the original for much less.  Which is amazing.  Can't wait!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And I got the amp today!  Looks amazing - can't wait to get home and plug it in.

Everyone hold their breath around 6:13pm (GMT) as I try to plug it in for the first time.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    And he was never heard from again.
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    Thats truly shocking, even more shocking that it doesn.t appear to be an isolated incident! I've always had good experiences with Andertons, even when I haven't been happy with a purchase they have always been responsive and offered myriad options to me to sort it out.
  • stonevibe said:
    About 10 years ago I worked in their Acton store for a few weeks as I was looking to change companies. The practise of taking money and not having it in stock was standard. They have one warehouse in Romford that has minimal stock and everything else is ordered from suppliers one item at a time.

Terrible service and lots of demo / B stock equipment sold as new.

The whole outfit is a shambles and made Turnkey look like professionals.

If you want great prices and mail order always use GAK. 

Biased as I worked there for a sometime many years ago and I know they aren't always perfect (stuff sells out, suppliers can give retailers the run around, these things happen) but the man that owns the company is one of the most honest down to earth men I have ever met.

They are the only online retailer I would trust as they have a massive warehouse and hold most items in stock. 

All online deals / over the phone orders with any company can cause issues but DV are the worst of the lot. SO I would never recommend them to anyone.
    I will only use GAK and Thomman. Both companies excellent.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom