Thinking about getting a Mesa

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Proud owner of a Mesa 5:50 Plus :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    I just got a Mesa Electra Dyne 1x12 this past week. Outstanding amp - american style clean and brit gain in two flavours. Check them out.
    I'll second the Electra Dyne, I had this after my Mark V and I honestly loved it, brilliant amp and built like a tank.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2170
    I think the most British sounding Boogie is probably the Electra Dyne. I almost pulled the trigger on one a while back, but in the end I didn't.
    There are probably some other options that will get you closer to that classic clean and great overdrive tone though.

Maybe a Budda Superdrive 30 1x12 combo. They can be had for sensible money used and also, they'd be much more Marshally than the Boogie IMO.

Having done some research on them recently, I didn't know that Dave Friedman designed the preamps in the Superdrive amps.

Very similar sounding to his Marsha and now Friedman Naked amps so everyone has said.

Beastly loud too by all accounts, so you'd probably get away with the 30.

Might be worth a look.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I've had my transatlantic for almost a year now and still loving it.  I was worried at the start not having reverb or an effects loop but now I don't miss them and never think about it.
  • Still very much in the honeymoon stage with my 5:50+, the clean channel is excellent as is the crunch channel and the burn channel has more gain than I'll ever need but a lot of fun. That leaves the blues channel which I haven't really managed to get a sound I like, it seems to be very middy, in fairness I haven't really messed around with the EQ section properly yet.

At the moment I would have prefered channel 1 to have been clean/blues and channel 2 crunch/burn.

I ran my Zoom G3 into the loop and used the volume pedal to control the overall volume, I set the masters on channel 1&2 at half (which was insanely loud) and it sounded better to me than when I was running the amps master volume at around 9 oclock and not using the Zoom to control the overall volume.