Faith No More - Sol Invictus

What's Hot
DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
That's right, Faith No More are probably my all-time favourite band so when I got the chance to stream this album on the NME (ugh) website I wasn't gonna pass it up. Been waiting months and months for this one.

Standout tracks: 'Superhero', 'Separation Anxiety' (absolutely LOVED this one), 'Cone Of Shame' (reminds me of 'Zombie Eaters' in it's structure with it's raucous crescendo), 'Matador'.

Still not really sure how I feel about 'Motherfucker' - I don't know whether to hate it or love it. Sol Invictus is nowhere near as good as the classic albums but still a delightful comeback. I'm surprised how short it is in all honesty. It's also extremely laid back and...well, you won't find any raging numbers like 'Digging The Grave' or 'Surprise You're Dead' on this. I guess they're past all that riffy malarky the old gits. However as mentioned, 'Separation Anxiety' is just wonderful with an irresistible groove and bassline. It's also the track that sounds the most like Tomahawk. 'Cone Of Shame' is a fucking TRIUMPH. A few meandering moments like 'Black Friday' but for every apathetic comment I make about it, someone else will love it. 'Matador' is a mesmeric cinematic journey with Patton at his hollering best. This man is just incapable of delivering a bad vocal performance. 'From The Dead' sounds ALOT like 'A Small Victory' only with jangling Americana guitars. A positive end to a really good album.

8/10

Any other thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Faith No More... sigh. Only one good, solid album - The Real Thing. Love that record!! :) 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    And Angel Dust, and King For A Day

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    Once Big Jim left it was all over for me.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508

Yes, Angel Dust and King For A Day are also bonafide classics (well, King For A Day maybe not a 'classic' but I love it all the same).

Been giving this a few more spins and I love it. Still a bit short though but I'd rather have a short album with great songs than a longer album with great songs and some filler.

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Introduce Yourself was always my fave tbh, some amazing tracks on it, went off them in a big way after The Real Thing
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I heard the new album and didn't really like it to be honest.  For me, their early stuff is hard to beat.  
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Got tickets for Glasgow next month, they really can do pretty much no wrong in my eyes.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    Introduce Yourself was always my fave tbh, some amazing tracks on it, went off them in a big way after The Real Thing
    I'm with you on that.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Reverend said:
    I'm with you on that.

Thirded.   Although I don't mind Angel Dust - but it's not in the same league as Introduce Yourself of The Real Thing.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Never knew there was a new album - thanks!!
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Just got back from said gig in Glasgow. It was ridiculously hot in there tonight, the bass sound kept dipping out volume wise and every guitar solo seemed to be very loud with a very toppy tone.

Also, Mike Bordin isn't the most flashy drummer but is regarded as a solid player. He was off a number of times tonight, bringing in fills a half beat early, speeding up, slowing down while someone poured water down his throat.

I say all this, like I'm some sort of expert and you'd think I hadn't enjoyed it, however I really did. :-) 

Still love this band an awful lot.