A Fretboard Frank Zappa Anthology- nominate your favourites

What's Hot
xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
edited May 2015 in Music
I like a lot of Zappa but really haven't got time to trawl through all the albums.

Please post your favourite Zappa tracks and moments- music and interviews- for the benefit of time-poor novices like me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    Muffin man is a personal favourite, valley girl for the bassline, peaches en regalia for the obvious one. I have a strange soft spot for Beltway bandits too.

And don't eat the yellow snow :)
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited May 2015
    Everything from the video 'Does humour belong in music'.

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    Pretty much everything on the 'One Size Fits All' album.

And Black Napkins for guitar soloing.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Lucille Has Messed My Mind Up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    Dirty love
    Bobby Brown goes down

+1 for peaches, valley girl
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33812
    Huge Zappa fan.

All of Roxy and Elsewhere.
    His version of 'Ring of Fire' is brilliant.
    All of Joe's Garage.
    Baby Snakes
    The rest of Sheik Yerbouti.
    The Jazz Discharge Party Hats.
    The rest of 'Man from Utopia'.

He also wrote one of my favourite autobiographies, one of my favourite books about music and one of my favourite books about anything- The Real Frank Zappa Book.

When I encountered Bill Hicks (after both Zappa and Hicks had died) I found more than a little in common between them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    "Overnight Sensation" is my top choice, maybe "One Size Fits All" second, too many to list.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7157
    Zoot Allures. Weasel Ripped my Flesh. Sleep Dirt, Ruben & The Jets, Them Or Us, Man From Utopia, Ship Arriving Too Late.

Love Hot Rats and 'Peaches' etc

Pretty much everything already mentioned above.

Can't really go wrong with Zappa to be honest. 
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    If it's stuff on YouTube you want I'd be tempted to search for Zappa Plays Zappa. Some of the old stuff with Frank just looks so dated its much easier to watch ZPZ and they go through a number of songs so it's almost a Best Of in itself. I think Dweezil comes across as a much nicer person than his dad was. All heresy I know.

I heard Zappa from Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch and worked backwards from there. I like the 80's stuff for having the best bass lines, Scott Thunes ( spll?) FTW.

Just on my phone at the moment, I'll look s few tracks up when I get chance although I tend to like the novelty stuff... :\">
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    There's so much but I'm going to suggest (as I usually do with Zappa, just because they get forgotten) Sexual Harassment In The Workplace and his version of Bolero. It really shows how above anything else, Zappa was an absolutely phenomenal guitarist.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    edited May 2015
    Very little of Frank on this but just the Bass of God

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The list of Frank Zappa tunes I can hum from memory being very short but this would be on it. The Man From Utopia possibly my fave Zappa album, it was contemporary to the period I got into him. Opening track of that album then
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
    edited May 2015
    I was a Vai fan before I got into Zappa, my dad gave me a tape of "Man from Utopia" telling me it was the new Steve Vai album! I KNOWINGLY started with Strictly Commercial, it's a fairly good greatest hits. Joes Garage is great (the song AND the album).
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1797
    Roxy and Elsewhere.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Many thanks everyone. I'll start with the suggestions made and work into the back catalogue from there.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    Apostrophe is a great album too.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    octatonic said:
    Huge Zappa fan.

All of Roxy and Elsewhere.
    His version of 'Ring of Fire' is brilliant.
    All of Joe's Garage.
    Baby Snakes
    The rest of Sheik Yerbouti.
    The Jazz Discharge Party Hats.
    The rest of 'Man from Utopia'.

He also wrote one of my favourite autobiographies, one of my favourite books about music and one of my favourite books about anything- The Real Frank Zappa Book.

When I encountered Bill Hicks (after both Zappa and Hicks had died) I found more than a little in common between them.
    +1 to all of this

Very difficult to recommend anything when it comes to Zappa because of the huge range of styles / eras / bands.

I'd just stick your toe in and soak it all up. You'll hate some of it, love some of it, be confused by some of it, aroused by parts, repulsed.  

My favourite artist. A genius.

My own personal choice would be the early 70s funky stuff - Roxy / One Size / Apostrophe / Overnite Sensation. The level of musicianship is absolutely fantastic and the pieces themselves are probably the easiest to get into.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Oh yeah - if Zappa Plays Zappa ever play near to you, do whatever it takes to get a ticket.

Equally fantastic musicianship and if you close your eyes, it could be any variant of the Mothers performing. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Massive fan of the Joe's Garage album. Heard it late teens and it was mega influential on me. After years of polite pop chart music I felt that my mind had been defiled by something slutty ....... and I liked it!

Not sure how useful it is to me in life but I've never forgotten how to say "F*ck me you ugly son of a bitch" in German!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23009
    In common with many of the posters above, I like that 1973-76 period - Over-Nite Sensation, Apostrophe ('), Roxy & Elsewhere, One Size Fits All, Bongo Fury, Zoot Allures.  I also have a soft spot for Them Or Us because it was the first one I actually bought as a new release.

That, by the way, is from the perspective of someone who's mainly a rock fan.  If you're into jazz or more avant-garde stuff you might find other albums more interesting.

There's so much stuff though!  I've got roughly 70 Zappa CDs but there's still tons I haven't got!