Great songwriters who shouldn't perform their own songs

What's Hot

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Chuffola said:
    Elvis Costello.

Voice doesn't do it for me - and I generally like unique voices.  Great songs though.

I agree. He's written some great songs, but I just can't get into him as a performer - and I have tried.

Shipbuilding was much better when performed by Robert Wyatt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6506
    Roger Waters

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2606
    Most of the ones I'd have thought of have already been mentioned, but I would say that a lot of these guys have the right voice for some of their material.  Dylan's voice is perfect for "Lay Lady Lay" for example.  Costello's adenoidal whine was more bearable when he was happy to be a rock'n'roller, but when he decided he wanted t be the type of singer who could hang with Tony Bennett and K D Lang it all got a bit silly.  He should leave that to his missus.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Most of the ones I'd have thought of have already been mentioned, but I would say that a lot of these guys have the right voice for some of their material.  Dylan's voice is perfect for "Lay Lady Lay" for example.  Costello's adenoidal whine was more bearable when he was happy to be a rock'n'roller, but when he decided he wanted t be the type of singer who could hang with Tony Bennett and K D Lang it all got a bit silly.  He should leave that to his missus.

Agree. His 'jazz' voice is horrendous. Offensive 
    I find it odd that people have a go at Dylan's voice. Ok, its gone now, hes about 75 and he hasnt made an album of note since Slow Train Coming (the odd great song notwithstanding) - in his heyday his voice was perfect for his songs. 

I'd rather a world full of unique voices than the blandola autotuned baloney that is modern mainstream music

Having said that, i also find Tom Wait's voice problematic. Its so obviously a caricature that it gets in the way of his songs   
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited May 2015
    I completely fail to get past Dylan's voice. I don't mind too much everything up to 66ish and his bike accident. It's mannered but not too off-putting for me.

But what on earth is going on with that weird singing voice on things like Nashville Skyline?

Even a song I like such as Tangled up in Blue can be a hard listen for me. On that he intones like a cross between a hoover and bee.

Add Richard Thompson to the list as well. He sounds like a middle class North Londoner doing Dylan impressions on the faster stuff. Quite nice on the slower ballads though.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24454
    The Beatles.

Love the songs, can't stand the voices.

I have tons of great cover versions of their tunes, some very faithful to the original arrangement just with different voices, some completely different. They are great.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Iron Maiden

*ducks*
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    Skarloey;638809" said:
    Add Richard Thompson to the list as well. He sounds like a middle class North Londoner doing Dylan impressions on the faster stuff. Quite nice on the slower ballads though.
    I'm okay if you want to add Elvis Costello to the list - but I'm afraid I will need Ricardo to come off it.

Though he is by no means a 'good' singer in the classic sense, his voice always seems to get inside the lyric in a way that touches me.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298

I'm probably being over generous in describing Nobo et al as great songwriters here but all the live versions I've heard of this by BB have improved on the hit version. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    The Beatles.

Love the songs, can't stand the voices.

I have tons of great cover versions of their tunes, some very faithful to the original arrangement just with different voices, some completely different. They are great.

?!?!?
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4716
    Samgb said:
    rlw said:
    Sadly now deceased but surely Townes Van Zandt wins this absolutely hands down, making even Tom Waits sound good.
    Er...how is TVZ not a good singer? Baffling!
    I've only ever saw and heard him when he was pissed or similarly off his head and he could not sing a single note in tune - a feat which even Tom Waits manages on a regular basis.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    James Taylor has a certain charm and I like him but I never thought the quality of his voice matched the quality of the his songwriting and guitar playing.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Kebabkid said:
    James Taylor has a certain charm and I like him but I never thought the quality of his voice matched the quality of the his songwriting and guitar playing.
    I was listening to Art Garfunkel on Radio 2 talking about learning to sing again and he held up JT as his example of a gifted, pitch perfect singer. He's not somebody I normally listen to but that seemed a high recommendation. What don't you like about JT?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Skarloey said:
    I'm okay if you want to add Elvis Costello to the list - but I'm afraid I will need Ricardo to come off it.

Though he is by no means a 'good' singer in the classic sense, his voice always seems to get inside the lyric in a way that touches me.
    I'd keep him on the list for his Strat sound though. It's so irritating it distracts me from listening to the song.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    Why has nobody mentioned Joni Mitchell yet? She is whinier than Dylan
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4716
    Why has nobody mentioned Joni Mitchell yet? She is whinier than Dylan
    :)
    Madness. Whiney?  Who the fuck else could sing those songs?
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    rlw said:
    Samgb said:
    rlw said:
    Sadly now deceased but surely Townes Van Zandt wins this absolutely hands down, making even Tom Waits sound good.
    Er...how is TVZ not a good singer? Baffling!
    I've only ever saw and heard him when he was pissed or similarly off his head and he could not sing a single note in tune - a feat which even Tom Waits manages on a regular basis.
    Ok, ive only heard his earlier albums and he had a lovely baritone. Thats what the boozing does.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I absolutely adore Tom Waits, the rest of you can fuck off ;) agree with @fretmeister on The Beatles, though - I can't stand them but there's a few covers (most notably Joe Cocker's 'A Little Help From My Friends') which I really like.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    IanSavage said:
    I absolutely adore Tom Waits, the rest of you can fuck off ;) 
    Totally with you on that one!