Taking photos of guitars - what do?

What's Hot
SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 720
edited May 2015 in Guitar
Howdy ... so can anyone give me some advice on how to take professional photos of guitars?

I own a decent SLR, but only ever take photos of people and very very rarely use a flash. From the brief research I've done, it seems I'd need some proper lighting. I don't really want to spend money on this, but would quite like to have a go at "product" photography.

Purely for my own amusement, as to be honest, if I came to sell the things I'd want to do some more honest photoraphy (i.e. natural light to be clear on condition etc).

Anyone a guitar shutter bug?

World guitars even charge for this service I think? They have very nice photos either way :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    @Raymondlin is definately the man to speak to, his photos are something else, also @PVO_DAVE is a dab hand with the old camera
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6202
    tFB Trader
    lighting isn't as bad as you think. i use neewer LED lighting (off camera, it adds a very nice diffused light to the scene. You can also change the temperature of the light. think for a guitar 2x these and you would have a good setup thats not too expensive. The lights and a white sheet anyway. oh and you must have a tripod for your camera too.

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30937
    Where's that guy Jonathan that used to post here and was a photographer? He'd know.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6202
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    Where's that guy Jonathan that used to post here and was a photographer? He'd know.
    knob :)
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23027

@FelineGuitars does some good photos.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I always prefer outside shots of guitars with minimal reflection and a nice garden or lawn background.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    I tend to take my photographs in the conservatory, with the blinds shut on a sunny day as I prefer natural light.
    We are all Chameleons...
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Sassafras said:
    I always prefer outside shots of guitars with minimal reflection and a nice garden or lawn background.
    Years ago I remember coming across a book of amazing photos of guitars taken outdoors - usually out in the wild - things like a Strat leaning up against a rock up on Dartmoor. No idea who the photographer was, or what the book was called, but would love to find a copy!
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2376
    I posted something a while back on how I take black background pictures: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/17151/taking-photos-of-your-guitars-black-background-technique/p1

Like these:

Since then, I bought some cheapo continuous studio lights from eBay, they cost about £35, makes taking photos like the above a lot easier (less shutter time, more even light). 

I also bought a cheap black studio backdrop to do some non wall hanger shots, like these:

All of the above requires post processing work, but you do get some great results :)

HTH, if you've got any questions, let me know. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 720
    Wow ... I'll have to have a look at getting something for the background. Amazing photos!
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    edited May 2015
    It's all about getting a mix of lighting and shadow which gives the subject shape - ideally nice diffuse lighting. In practice, usually this means putting your thing next to a big diffuse light source - like your french windows on an overcast day - and taking photos with a nice-but-not-distracting background. Your magnolia radiator, while not distracting, is not nice - and your flower bed is undoubtedly lovely, but distracting. A patterned carpet can be a good compromise, but it depends on the carpet. 

But yeah - have a play with near-a-window first before you start buying stuff. You'll be surprised at how versatile it can be. 

This is backlit with a flash with a blue gel, for that Terminator 2 look, bounced off a silver reflector to the right of the camera to pick up the edge of the guitar - and another flash in a 2'x2' softbox to the left of the camera. I think it looks like something from an 80s product catalogue. If I was doing it again I think I'd make it more shadowy and mysterious. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 720
    ^ thanks for the tips. Also, was that taken in a car park? :)
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    My drive, so sort of. ;)