Composition Challenge #9 - ' Bring on the funky folk'

What's Hot

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    I've just recorded some guitar and balalaika on mine. It's coming together.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I was thinking the deadline was 15th June. I've just realised it's 15th July.

Phew! Plenty of time, in that case.
    #:-S
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Just sent mine in - I know there's another month to go, but I've got a busy few weeks coming up and tbh sending it in will stop me messing about with it any more.

This is my first composition challenge, and I've gone for a cover (which I think is allowed?), and it's the first 'full track' I've recorded since moving over to using Reaper this year. I won't lie - I've put quite a bit of effort into it, and learnt a lot during the process (like that slap bass requires more skill than I had appreciated) - not that I'm likely to create anything which sounds anything like this again in the future...

Thanks to @Antique_Guitars and @TTony for running these challenges - they help make me do and learn stuff
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Yeah, I'm determined to get something together for this one. The vocals will be terrible though!

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

horse said:
    This is my first composition challenge, and I've gone for a cover (which I think is allowed?),
    I don't have a problem with that although I'm hoping your arrangement takes it somewhere different to the original (and, knowing my listening preferences, it's quite likely I'll have never heard the original).
    :)

Being as this is, at least in part, a folk challenge, I've gone down the 'trad arr.' route myself - it seemed appropriate. And it's turning out unlike any folk song I've ever heard.
    Yes - my version is somewhat different to the original!
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    I need to get jamming on this with my mandolin, I've never played funk before on any instrument, let alone a mandolin (and an autoharp I'm planning to use), so I apologise now in advance for the awful sounds that might result from this
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    @thecolourbox  ; I'm looking forward to hearing the autoharp. I've used a balalaika on mine - it's more of a tourist ornament than proper instument but I can just about get a tune out of it.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    Wow i had to look up what a balalaika even is... looks quite an interesting one. I bet somebody somewhere makes a Flying V model balalaika.

I know nothing about funk but I do like folk, so am determined to use the folky instruments I've acquired and which have generally ended up as ornaments ever since their purchase...The only problem is the autoharp is best suited to playing in G or D, neither of which am i very good at singing in. Also from what I can tell from funk music, you seem to have to use more than basic standard tonal triads haha but will have a good go at fitting it in - I am determined!

Here it is in action the last time I used it...a few years ago now! And not very funky

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Status Quo with Maddy Prior sing Steely Span's All around my hat .... I might go this route and sing .. you've been warned.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    I saw Steeleye Span when they played at my university many many years ago - one of the best band performances I've seen in my life.
    I saw Steeleye Span when they played at my university many many years ago - one of the best band performances I've seen in my life.
    I've seen them live as well - Maddy Prior has a beautiful voice ...

Warning! I've recorded some vocals! 
    %-(
    Warning! I've recorded some vocals! 
    %-(
    Good man .. I might do likewise .. hey nonny nonny ...

Sounds like it could be vocal month then!
    I just took a 'family group' photo of the guitars I've used on this challenge. I usually just use one or two on a challenge - just for speed and ease of recording - but for this month's challenge I thought I'd make a point of using some of my 'lesser spotted' instruments. I've still got a guitar solo to record so there may even be one more before I'm finished.

L-R :  Ibanez Blazer, Stagg 'minicaster', Washburn Festival series electro acoustic, Squier Precision P/J bass, balalaika, Ibanez Artist
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2015
    Nice collection. By coincidence mine also features a  squier p/j bass, acoustic, a natural finish strat, and a 'folky' instrument. Quite a lot of non-guitar as well
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    I've admitted defeat for this one. Just can't get anything to work.

Good luck to the rest!!
  • Chuffola;677452" said:
    I've admitted defeat for this one. Just can't get anything to work.

Good luck to the rest!!
    Don't give up sweetheart you still have nearly a month left to submit! Keep trying babe!
    Old Is Gold
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom