advice Studio Monitors whilst I still have chance to cancel Amazon purchase

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

IanSavage said:
    octatonic said:
    Problems in mono was only really an issue with AM radio, which is mono.

I'm going to play Devil's advocate and disagree with you a BIT there - I've found a lot of pubs and clubs where the sound system is mono, particularly when there's multiple speakers dotted around the place at various heights and no particular 'sweet spot' (understandably, since you don't want a hard-panned instrument really prominent in one bit of the pub and non-existent in others) so for my money there's still no harm in checking that your mix translates well to mono before you finalise it.
    You are quite right. DJ's have to provide mono mixes of tracks for many clubs.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Drew_fx said:
    AndyJP said:
    Here's a link to the book:
    Senior also recommends avoiding small ported monitors as the the bass response is inaccurate.
    Depends if they're front or rear ported. Front ported tends to be a bit more accurate AFAIK.
    Soz I meant to say he recommends avoiding CHEAP ported monitors.
    As for front/back ported he didn't say.

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I'd definitely agree that sorting the room acoustics is more important than the brand of monitor.   
    Buy the best you can afford and then get cracking with adding some bass traps and some aborption panels at the reflection points in the room.
    Whatever you do go for, I think that getting used to them and using them a lot really helps - if you're really used to listening to mixes on them you get tuned in to how they sound and I'd prefer that to using mega quality speakers you don't know as well.     This is one of the reasons headphones can help as well as removing the concerns about the acoustics of the room.

and use everything - if you check your mixes on several speakers and headphones including a single speaker, super cheap ones and even iPod earphones you'll get an idea how well the mix transfers.
  • bugger, I had not considered the size... its pretty big and deep, and soon there will be double... oops

that aside it sounds really impressive and I still stand by my choice.
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3286
    edited May 2015
    okay several  hours in and WHOA in love absolutely the top choice for me, cannot wait for another now....

show some Mackie love

• yeh turns out I can afford another today :) which I am really chuffed about..

next on the list is possible mixer upgrade.. looking at firewire for permanent hook up to mac and then use my current usb mixer on the laptop..
  • 2nd Mackie turned up, had a good move around re set everything up... Absolutely adore them.. All my buying and sorting stuff out the past 6 odd weeks has really re injected my passion for creating music... Its all good